Low kH

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1x Green spotted pufferfish
Location (country): New Zealand

Low kH

Post by Blinkey »

Recently I have noticed that my kH has been staying at about 4-5 dkH (4-5 drops using API test kit). I attempted to rectify this by buying a cheap bag of aragonite and put a reasonably large amount into my filter (yesterday), adding more would likely impact the flow rate of my filter. Today I have noticed about a .1 rise in pH, but the kH has not budged in the slightest. Water changes have also not accomplished anything. I really don't want to resort to using chemical additives (e.g. baking soda or seachem products), since it is risky and an additional weekly hassle.
Has anyone else had an issue with raising their kH? And any useful advice on doing so?

Note: original pH was about 8.0 and is now 8.1. and water changes were done a couple days before addition of aragonite.

Cheers
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Low kH

Post by Pufferpunk »

What fish are you keeping & what SG are you at?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

1x figure eight puffer & 3x bumblebee goby @ 1.005 sg
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Just an update. I am now convinced that what the LFS sold me was not in fact aragonite, but some inert sand-like gravel. I tested this by leaving a scoopful in a jug of water overnight and came back to it the next day with a same pH of 7.5 ... The change I saw must not have been from the 'aragonite' and instead just me fooling myself with the light. Fairly sure it was an accident by them, and not too particularly annoyed, as it was only $4. Just ordered a bag of actual aragonite from another store. Can't be bothered to go back to return the bag, due to the greater petrol costs in doing so lol.
"Life, uh, finds a way"