help me choose a tank for my green spotted puffers

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
puffysr
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

help me choose a tank for my green spotted puffers

Post by puffysr »

I'm looking for a first tank setup for my 4 green spotted puffers (i bought 6 from walmart but sadly 2 have died :(, 1 due to possibly disease and the other one I overfed)
I can spend up to around $150-200 but the lower is better
When I took them home I didn't anticipate the size of the tank I would have to get

Now they are about an inch including tail length, when they get larger I will upgrade to a bigger tank. So it's not the final tank eventually of course since they get a lot bigger but maybe just for a few months or until they get bigger and outgrow the tank

Can someone help me choose, which is the best deal/option?

OPTION 1:
$140 - 35 gallons
It's being sold as a complete set up with stand, lid, led light, aquaeon heater, aquaeon filter, sand, plants, wood decor (see the picture below).
disadvantages: it's a vertical arrangement and the tank isn't long. there might be an additional cost to move the tank but I am not sure. I am not able to move them myself
option1.png
OPTION 2:
$200
55 gallon tank. It's being sold as a complete setup. lights, heater, filter, gravel, decor (see the picture below)
disadvantage: the tank is big and hard to move, they can help me to move the tank but it would add to the cost (they said it would be $250 to deliver it I don't know if they will accept less and haven't asked unless I was sure this was the tank I wanted to get)
option 2.png
OPTION 3:
$80 - Top Fin 55 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit
Includes: Black trim glass aquarium, hood with LED lights, Top Fin 60 Power Filter with 2 Cartridges, Adjustable 200w UL Heater, Strip Thermometer, 6" Net, Guide to Aquarium Set-up and Care
Would still need to buy: chemical testing kit
Other disadvantages: no stand. I'd probably have to keep it on the kitchen countertop (which is fine).
option3.png
Are there any major materials that I'm forgetting about that I would need to buy?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.

Re: help me choose a tank for my green spotted puffers

Post by Hillehaus »

I think that you are going to need a lot more tank than 55g for 4 GSPs. The pufferpedia lists them at 30 gallons minimum each. Do you have plans in the near future to upgrade the tank size to accommodate 4 full grown GSPs?

That business aside...lets talk tanks. Either of those 55 gallon tanks would be perfect for a single, MAYBE two GSPs. I'd also buy the one that is already set up, even though it is a bit more expensive. I personally love used equipment, as long as you check it thoroughly to make sure it works, because its so inexpensive and often there is nothing wrong with it. If you buy the new TopFin, you will end up with a perfectly suitable tank. Here is the catch within 2 months I can almost promise that you will replace the filter because its underpowered, find the light included with the hood insufficient and replace it, have to buy a stand because it takes up too much room on your counter and do you really want to put about 450lbs on your nice counters? (which even if you make your own can be expensive), will need to buy decorations (expensive), etc...by the time the top fin is set up, you will have likely have spent close to or over $250. I've made this mistake before. With the used 55-gallon, you also get the benefit of mature filter media, possibly saving you from having to cycle the tank.
puffysr
Puffer Fry

Post by puffysr »

thanks for your response, yes in the future i will upgrade to a bigger tank. i had to wait until payday tomorrow this time to get the bigger tank. i didnt realize it would be so expensive to maintain them. if it becomes too expensive to manage in the future i may need to find an experienced fish enthusiast to take some of them but I hope i dont have to do that and they will be ok in there for now

i think I posted this in the non-puffer section by accident but I meant to post it in the puffer section (I mis read it as non-puffer topics, as in tank topics)
But is this section for other types of fish (not puffer fish) then I put it here by accident

thanks for your advice :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have rarely seen someone upgrade their tanks properly. Usually life happens & they get stuck living in a tank too small for them, stunted with a shorter lifespan. Even 2 adult Nerf ball-sized puffers in a 55g with 100lbs of live rock & other decor, is too many.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
puffysr
Puffer Fry

Post by puffysr »

There's some 125 gallon tanks that I saw but it's too expensive now, they run around $350. I'll try to save some money for it so I can upgrade when they get bigger, or I may have to have someone take some from me. I feel sad about splitting them apart so I hope I won't have to do that but if I need to I'll try to find them a home in someone's else aquarium.