DIY decor?

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): US

DIY decor?

Post by martini57 »

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew how to make my own décor. I have some flagstone that I am planning to make some kind of structure out of, with little caves or something, but if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, or pictures of stuff that they have done? also, I really like the look of the mangrove roots, but they are so expensive! is there anyway I could DIY something like that? thanks!! any and all suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated!
TrevorA
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
5 GSPs
Location (country): South Leicestershire
England

Re: DIY decor?

Post by TrevorA »

I got a sledgehammer to some spare river rock in the garden and made our caves, looks ok
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

You are asking for a book, at least, more likely several books. Google on "rock aquarium decor" or some such and come back with more questions on set-ups you like...

Also look into "aquarium safe epoxy", which is pricey but very useful.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

Do a search on youtube. There's lots of DIY projects on there
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

sorry that was a pretty broad question, is there a particular brand of epoxy or silicone that you recommend? I have read that it should either say aquarium safe or "potable" somewhere on it. I live at the beach, so I can very easily find shells and driftwood. If I boil the shells could I use them? and is there a particular species of wood that could work, I know that it isn't recommended but I'm just curious. could I seal the wood?
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)
Location (country): USA

Post by DMD123 »

A type of wood that has lots of branches is Manzanita. You could install it in a way that gives the appearance of a mangrove root look.

I have ordered from this company before: http://www.manzanita.com
They have pictures of some of their larger or distinct pieces, so you know exactly what you are getting.
Here is a picture of one piece they have right now, a bit big but you get the idea. Remember its wood so you can cut it to size if necessary.

When I first set up my 210g I had used two large pieces to get this look:
After having it a while I realized it was too hard to clean around so I sold it off and went with a simpler decor.
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Huge +1 to the above comments. I generally set tanks intending to last for at least 10 years. I current have at least one tank at ~30 years or a bit more (it moved to this house drained but still set). Some I get bored with before 10 years and re-do. Most often that is due to the set-up demanding too much effort to maintain, as DMD123 pointed out.

I get my epoxy from Two Little Fishies. The owner used to live here and visits pretty regularly. I've known him for many years and trust him. Everybody I know uses his epoxy for frags, so it is safe stuff.
martini57
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by martini57 »

That's a good point, I hadn't necessarily thought about if I was going to want to keep cleaning it for 10 years, main,y because I figured that the fish would get bored with it and so would I, so I would just rotate decor . But at least for now I am going to pass on the wood, but DMD123 I really appreciate the link to that site and will definitely keep it in mind for the future.

RTR- it appears they have 2 kinds, the aquastik epoxy putty and coraffix. Since I am wanting to make some kind of cave structure from flagstone, I am leaning more towards the aquastik.

Something similar to the picture on this link, http://petdiys.com/diy-slate-aquarium-structure/

I am going to put 2 bbg in there and see what happens. Would that work better with the aquastik or coraffix ?

Also, what is the long term life on silk plants vs plastic ones? I don't want to waste money on the silk ones if they are just gonna fall apart. Again, thank you to everyone for your advice
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

My only tank epoxy use has been w/Two Little Fishies epoxies. I use the grey in FW and BW and SW for rockwork. If the pieces are heavy, make the cave/refuge in sections so the unit weight is lower - you don't want to have to handle big heavy assemblies in glass tanks. You don't need to ask how I learned that...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Petsmart has 3 (or maybe more by now) different designs of fake mangrove roots. I have all 3 in different sized tanks. Filbert loves hanging out in his large one:

Here are some other pieces I've found:

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"