Argh! Advice/Planning for Moving??? (F8)

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: GSP- Burd
???- Tiberius the Tugboat
F8- Bonk
Potato Puffer- TBD, arriving 12/1
Location (country): United States

Argh! Advice/Planning for Moving??? (F8)

Post by Infinity8 »

So, as we know, I've only had my F8 Feather for a few weeks. His tank is fully cycled (20 gal), and everything seems to be going dandy.

Here's the thing: my family just dropped the bombshell on me that we will potentially be moving. Now, clearly if I had known this, I would have waited to start up his tank.

It will likely be a month or several before this happens (IF it happens), but I'd rather start preparing now so I don't get stuck in a bind. What do you guys think is the best course of action? I don't have the space to set up another large tank (over 5 gal) at our current address, and since we rent the transition will probably be fairly quick (so I couldn't set up the other tank at the new place ahead of time). Thoughts?

Would my F8 be okay in a cycled 5 gal for a week (with daily water changes, of course, and assuming I can get his normal home cycled in that time period with seeding)? I also have a ten gallon I keep in my classroom for a betta (pretty modest compared to Feather's usual setup, though if it would be better I can beef it up), but I really don't like the idea of not being able to monitor him or the water levels as frequently. Not to mention the stress of young kids interacting with the tank... I'm so frustrated. I really don't want to move, but I don't have any choice in the matter. :( I want what's best for my little guy, and I'm really worried how this will affect his health.
LRU
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Re: Argh! Advice/Planning for Moving??? (F8)

Post by LRU »

I wouldn't sweat it. Keep the filter media damp while moving and you'll be fine.

Empty the tank.

Put the Figure 8 in a container with 1/2 air, 1/2 water, and make the move to the new place.

Fill the tank back up with water that is as close to the previous setup as possible (temp/salinity) and also use a dechlorinator. Put the filter (with same media) on the tank and heater, etc. Get everything running as normal.

Add the Figure8 back in.

I've done this with tons of fish including several of my puffers when swapping tanks around and rarely if ever had any issues.
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

LRU wrote:I wouldn't sweat it. Keep the filter media damp while moving and you'll be fine.

Empty the tank.

Put the Figure 8 in a container with 1/2 air, 1/2 water, and make the move to the new place.

Fill the tank back up with water that is as close to the previous setup as possible (temp/salinity) and also use a dechlorinator. Put the filter (with same media) on the tank and heater, etc. Get everything running as normal.

Add the Figure8 back in.

I've done this with tons of fish including several of my puffers when swapping tanks around and rarely if ever had any issues.
This makes me feel so much better. Thanks so much for the quick response! My puffer's been a big source of joy in my kind-of-messed up life lately, and I'd be heartbroken if I did anything to put him in jeopardy.

If anyone else has other tips for this please feel free to chime in :) You guys are so great.
LRU
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by LRU »

Infinity8 wrote:
LRU wrote:I wouldn't sweat it. Keep the filter media damp while moving and you'll be fine.

Empty the tank.

Add the Figure8 back in.

This makes me feel so much better. Thanks so much for the quick response! My puffer's been a big source of joy in my kind-of-messed up life lately, and I'd be heartbroken if I did anything to put him in jeopardy.

If anyone else has other tips for this please feel free to chime in :) You guys are so great.
One other suggestion: If you're concerned about the good bacteria in the filter media dying off, you could also buy a bottle of Tetra SafeStart or TLC StartSmart and add that bottled bacteria back in once the tank is filled back up at the new place and at the same time as you add your puffer.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

easy, peasey :)
how far are you moving?
I moved 5 tanks 425 miles a couple of years ago
the recommendations in the previous posts are good
I kept my filter media sealed up in the external canisters for 2-3 days and it was fine
the fish were transported in covered buckets 1/2 full of tank water
since it was a long drive, I used an inverter and air pump and air stones during the transport, and made sure the car stayed warm
upon arrival, the fish stayed in the buckets for a couple of days with heaters & air stones until the tanks were ready for them
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

All of the above is good advice - follow it as needed for short or distant moves and it should go smoothly for you and your fish.

Good luck!
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

LRU- I keep a bottle of SafeStart on hand, so I'll definitely keep that in mind!
eieio wrote:easy, peasey :)
how far are you moving?
I moved 5 tanks 425 miles a couple of years ago
the recommendations in the previous posts are good
I kept my filter media sealed up in the external canisters for 2-3 days and it was fine
the fish were transported in covered buckets 1/2 full of tank water
since it was a long drive, I used an inverter and air pump and air stones during the transport, and made sure the car stayed warm
upon arrival, the fish stayed in the buckets for a couple of days with heaters & air stones until the tanks were ready for them
I doubt it will be out of the town we're in. My mother hasn't started looking yet (and again, there's a chance this may fall through), so I have some time. I just kinda panicked and wanted to know my options. I will, however, keep that in mind about the buckets. I'm hoping to land a teaching job out of state next year, so Feather would have to take a little car ride with me.

Thanks RTR. You guys have made me feel so much better about this. I still detest the idea of moving (we jUST got settled here, finally), but there's some issues with mold and...well, yeah. I can't argue too much. Can't wait until I have the permanency of my own house specifically...then I can set up a 125 for a porcupine, and a GPS tank and.... :happydance:
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Moving is always a nightmare, fish tank or not. Having a fish tank requires a little more forward planning, plan ahead and it's no major challenge
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

Thanks PP! :) Good to know, Bertie.

After the past few days, I'm skeptical this particular move is going to happen after all, but as I said, I'll eventually be moving out and out of state, so this is all good to know ahead of time.

A side note- I have a young student named "Leather." .....I have accidentally called her "Feather" no less than three times today. My students tease me for having puffers on the brain! :P
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

Remember when I was panicking about this in November? I feel so much more prepared thanks to you guys. All set to move the tanks tomorrow night. Thinking about transporting some of the water too since it's only a five minute drive and no major stairs involved. Thoughts on whether this is necessary if I keep my filter media damp wet and bagged, and add the safe start as a precaution?

Any other last minute tips? Transporting the lot in fish bags in an insulated cooler since it's still pretty chilly up this way.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Always good to save as close to 50% of the water, if you can.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

Okie doke. Picked up some five gal buckets with lids yesterday, so that will work out.
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

Puffdate: Everything went swimmingly and all the tanks are fine. :D Both puffers and bettas handled the move well.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yay!