Quick Filtration Question

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: GSP- Burd
???- Tiberius the Tugboat
F8- Bonk
Potato Puffer- TBD, arriving 12/1
Location (country): United States

Quick Filtration Question

Post by Infinity8 »

Hey all,

After reading idly through some of the older threads, I have a quick question. I'm coming up to the point where my filter cartridge for my F8's tank probably needs to be changed. However, I just read in one of the threads that I shouldn't switch it out or throw it away, or I'll lose most of my cycle bacteria (my tank has only been completely cycled for a few weeks). Should I just give it a good rinse and pop it back in?

My filter is a Marineland Penguin 200 (has a bio wheel).

Wouldn't most of my bacteria be housed in the bio wheel? Sorry if these are silly questions or ones that have already been answered. I just don't wanna mess up my bacteria balance and send poor Feather into orbit!

" :shock: What should we doooo??"

EDIT: Just realized this probably could have gone in the Brackish Puffers Board. :( My bad, I'm sorry.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Quick Filtration Question

Post by Pufferpunk »

This is why the majority of us use Aquaclear filters. Just rinse & reuse! I have sponges over 20 years old... ;)
Also, isn't there a lot of messy salt spray from that biowheel on a BW tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LRU
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by LRU »

+1 for Aquaclears.

If the biowheel doesn't dry out, you should have enough bacteria on it even if you replace the carbon filter pad. But I cant' guarantee it.

Honestly, I'd replace the filter pad with a sponge if you can find one to fit. Then you can just lightly rinse the sponge in tank water when it gets clogged instead of buying new cartridges every month or few weeks and risking the loss of your bacteria. Or sponge + bag of ceramic media.

Better yet, replace the biowheel with an Aquaclear filter and put the filter pad from the biowheel in the Aquaclear to seed the new filter. You could put the old filter pad in there in place of the carbon that comes with the Aquaclears. In the long run the Aquaclear will save you money. Amazon and other pet places often have them on sale fairly cheaply.
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I'll start eyeballing Aquaclears. In the mean time, I think I feel safer with looking around for a sponge that'll fit. I have some ceramic media on hand, so I'll get that set up in the filter tonight. That way I'll have more seeding materials when I do the old switcheroo.

Feather says thanks for helping the noob. ;)
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

Oh, and PP, I haven't seen a ton of salt spray, at least yet. Just a little bit of residue on the wheel cover. My specific gravity is at 1.005, or at least so my hydrometer tells me. should I be seeing more? O_o
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

Do it now or eventually you can cut the charcoal out and just rinse the pad. Cut out the thin slits but leave the main ribs on the cartridge. Be sure not to cut through the filter pad in the process.

There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

1.005 really isn't a lot of salt yet.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I do agree w/most of the above - Even low BW does throw salt from biowheels. Hard alkaline water itself without salt addition will produce salt/mineral spray on cover glasses and tank rims. PITA IMHO. Also IMHO biowheels are only for soft acid water tanks. Personally I never use them. There are plenty of other and IMHO better biofiltration options which will operate almost indefinitely.

But if you do change biofiltration equipment, be sure that both the old and new systems operate in parallel for 4-6 weeks to develop bacterial colonies in the new biomedia.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

Alrighty, looks like I got some bad advice from my former coworkers (also fishkeepers, though admittedly not brackish) when I was doing my initial shopping.

Going to get the Aquaclear after work today. The one for up to 50 gall (200 gph) should be enough overfiltration for a 20 gal, right? The advice is much appreciated.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have a 110 on my 20g. Got tons of them around, though! ;)

Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

My opinion is if you're happy with your filter and don't mind the maintenance of cleaning the odd bit of salt residue then stick with what you have. At the end of the day all you want your filter to do is convert harmfull ammonia and nitrite to nitrate so no need to shell out on a new filter if your current filter is doing this effectively and if filter replacement isn't in your budget plans. I used to have a hob and once the cartridge clogged I bought a large, cheap sponge pad meant for pond filters and cut it down to size. I cut it into 2 bits so that I could rinse 1 each week.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Generally I would tend to agree w/Iliveinazoo, in that familiar equipment is better and easier to handle, but folks who are puffer novices may not yet have experience with fish that can often do and can live well into their teens or better. Long-term ease of upkeep matters a lot to me, and should to all puffer (and Cichlid and loach keepers). An awful lot of upkeep happens in 15+/- years. To me it is worth the extra investment and learning process for whatever will make your life easier (and the fish's life better) over that time span. The least challenging and easier to accomplish chores are the ones most likely to get done - at least for me.

FWIW, YMMV
Where's the fish? - Neptune
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

I have a Bioweel on my 40g marine tank, and removing 3 pounds of salt creep off the hood every month just happens to be one of my favorite hobbies! :D

Nah, I'm totally kidding. I've actually been looking at the aquaclear myself. If you're gonna go full marine, I'd say go ahead and get one.
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I haven't managed to pick up the Aquaclear yet, but I will eventually be switching, just from what I have been reading. Does anyone know if they're a bit quieter than the bio-wheels? That'd certainly be a plus. Right now I honestly am kinda skittish about doing anything to disturb the cycle, so sponge and ceramic media for now, then Aquaclear in December (also when I have a little more cash to throw around..my student loans are hitting this month, ayieeee!!! ;) ) But it will be happening.
I have a 110 on my 20g. Got tons of them around, though! ;)
PP, lmao. I can only imagine. You are the puffer goddess!
My opinion is if you're happy with your filter and don't mind the maintenance of cleaning the odd bit of salt residue then stick with what you have.
Iliveinazoo, that's what I would be inclined to do (change scares me, ahh!!!), but this is my first forray into this whole business, so I figure I'd better listen to those who have been there before me. I'll be sticking with the sponge until I get my paws on an Aquaclear. (Ironically, that's initally what I was looking at...until a coworker talked me out of it. I used to work at a popular chain that rhymes with Let's Go..shows what they know. hahaha). Thanks!
To me it is worth the extra investment and learning process for whatever will make your life easier (and the fish's life better) over that time span.
RTR, I really appreciate advice like this. I AM extremely new to keeping puffers (and keeping major tanks in general), so anything that I can add to my knowledge arsenal for long term care is very valuable to me. I'd like Feather to be around a long time!
have a Bioweel on my 40g marine tank, and removing 3 pounds of salt creep off the hood every month just happens to be one of my favorite hobbies! :D
Scorpio...this is really good to know, lmao. I DO plan on doing marine tanks some day (though not with this particular tank), and if you and PP hadn't brought this to my attention, I proabably would have tossed a bio-wheel in there. Suddenly the massive amount of salt creep on my ex's tank makes sense...durrr..

Again, thanks to everybody that's been chiming in. You're all really nice and helpful, and this forum has prevented me from making a lot of beginner mistakes.
Speaking of filtration/waterflow/current...I've been meaning to set up the circulation pump I bought for this tank, but I have a few questions:

A) Is the additional current necessary for such a small tank? I notice a slight current thanks to the filter, bubble wand, and bubble dragon I have running. I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I'm just curious.
B) If so, what's the best place to put it? Top of the tank? Bottom? Away from the filter, close to??? Such a noob.
C) I bought a Hydor Koralia Nano (425 gph)....am I going to regret this brand? It's too late to return. Is this thing going to be too strong for my tiny inch and a half F8?

Sorry for the uber long post!
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Aim it along the front glass, they get great excercise that way, remove the bubblers if the surface seems ok to farther reduce the build up of salt in your hood
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly