Quick Filtration Question

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Re: Quick Filtration Question

Post by G S P Freak »

+1, I have a fluval 305 in my 10 gallon tank for my f8 (hes gonna get upgraded to a 30 this summer, wooo) and the current not only helps prevent "dead spots", which accumulate poo and detritus, but also provides exercise. I often see him swimming against the current across the front of the tank. My filter has adjustable flow and I have it at about 80% flow (over 200gph). As long as your puffer doesn't struggle against the current and lay at the bottom from exhaustion, you cannot have too much current. I agree, invest in a aquaclear, or get a canister filter. I like canisters because they provide a lot of room for biomedia and you can adjust the flow easier with them then with a HOB type. If you have a powerhead, then a HOB will be fine, but without one I reccomend a canister type.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

El Scorpio wrote:I've actually been looking at the aquaclear myself. If you're gonna go full marine, I'd say go ahead and get one.
You are thinking in terms of FW filtration for SW & you're gonna be sorry!!! Totally different filtration concepts there. FW filtration is considered "nitrate factories", when used for SW. Better to use live rock, good flow & a protein skimmer. Even better yet, is to plumb in a refugium. :)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: GSP- Burd
???- Tiberius the Tugboat
F8- Bonk
Potato Puffer- TBD, arriving 12/1
Location (country): United States

Post by Infinity8 »

bertie 83 wrote:Aim it along the front glass, they get great excercise that way, remove the bubblers if the surface seems ok to farther reduce the build up of salt in your hood
(I just figured out the quote button. YAY!) I'll be setting it up along there, then. Thanks Bertie. I don't run the bubblers all the time, but I'll definitely be running them less now (apparently I was looking to turn my tank into a salt mine.) More than anything they seem to be good entertainment value for him...he takes little "bubble baths" and tries to ride the dragon's stream. But water changes and general maintenance tomorrow, so in goes the pump!
G S P Freak wrote:+1, I have a fluval 305 in my 10 gallon tank for my f8 (hes gonna get upgraded to a 30 this summer, wooo) and the current not only helps prevent "dead spots", which accumulate poo and detritus, but also provides exercise. I often see him swimming against the current across the front of the tank. My filter has adjustable flow and I have it at about 80% flow (over 200gph). As long as your puffer doesn't struggle against the current and lay at the bottom from exhaustion, you cannot have too much current. I agree, invest in a aquaclear, or get a canister filter. I like canisters because they provide a lot of room for biomedia and you can adjust the flow easier with them then with a HOB type. If you have a powerhead, then a HOB will be fine, but without one I reccomend a canister type.
Another vote for Aquaclear XD Good to know about the dead spots! I've noticed a few of those around the tank (seems like no matter how much I vaccuum he finds hiding spots for it all..yeuch).
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

I am a long time user of marineland biowheels myself. (did mostly freshwater) But then I finally got a brackish tank (and eventually full marine) and so I modified the filters thanks to the advice provided on this forum. HOB filters regardless of brand and design are essentially a plastic container with a motor and pipe to help move water thru it. No need in buying an all new system. Just strip out the filter pads and biowheels and use the unit for water flow. I actually bought and used the aquaclear sponges and stuffed them into the housing of my marineland filters. The key once you go full marine will be live rock and a skimmer as others have stated. You can even place pieces of live rock rubble inside the filter box if you want to as long as it will not restrict flow and clog the filter. Just my 2 cents.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

+1 to bertie's advice above. Although some fish do play in air-bubble streams, they are INHO no-nos in hard, alkaline or brackish or marine tanks due to salt creep. If your wet pets need more current, give them a small pump to improve current/circulation.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

Puffdate:

No longer running the bubblers (though I did keep them in there, one's a decoration piece and the wand produces my moonlight setting). Installed the circ pump today, and holy cow what a difference!!!! He seems like he's exploring a lot more now, and traversing the tank more as a general rule. He used to hang out at the top corner where I feed him quite a bit, and when he wasn't, he'd pace in the opposite corner. I've yet to see any pacing since :) though I suspect this is largely because he's afraid of the current, for now. Waiting for him to figure out he can ride the wave. :lol:
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Good job!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

RTR wrote:The least challenging and easier to accomplish chores are the ones most likely to get done - at least for me.
I agree. I never regretted replacing my HOB with a cannister if only because the extra gph and better flow distribution solved my BGA problem saving myself about an hour a week maintenance time.
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

I admit to being a bit neurotic about current and no dead spots. After the initial set-up of a tank, I can spend a lot of time fine-tuning the current in my tanks.
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

I've played around with its position quite a bit over the weekend. Took a while for me to figure out what worked best. Feather's figured out he can use it as a "fish launcher" now. :lol:
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Lol just wait until feather figures out the flow will launch food in her direction, suddenly it is not a threat
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

bertie 83 wrote:Lol just wait until feather figures out the flow will launch food in her direction, suddenly it is not a threat
Lol! Hopefully this will be soon...I put a few ghost shrimps in for him to hunt yesterday (he's gotten used to being fed off the hemostats). Turns out Feather is an abysmal hunter :lol: He gets really close to the shrimp, stares it down, and then goes in for the kill.....after the shrimp has darted away. Then he looks at me with a mouth full of sand and eyes that say "...please help hyooman?" He needs all the help he can get from the current, poor little thing. :roflmfao:
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Hunting is a learned technique. Watching lurkers learn to catch shrimp is a very, very slow process. Active hunters catch on more quickly.
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
F8- Bonk

Post by Infinity8 »

Well., the little blimp made a liar out of me. I came home and and found one VERY full puff...judging from his chub I'd say he caught at least 3/4 shrimp! Those little eyes have no shame. "What? It was there." :lol:
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Puffer predator are too cute to accept "blame" or show guilt. To them it is natural and it is their nature, so they are correct. (;>)=