gH??

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Nelcrest
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Washington State, USA

gH??

Post by Nelcrest »

I have a single F8 in a 20 gal. tank and I am routinely checking all of my parameters and they are as follows:
S.G. 1.006
pH 8
kH 6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

You may correct me if I'm wrong, and I'd ask that you do, but I do believe that all of these are at good levels. My only problem is I cannot figure out how to test for gH. I have the API FW testing kit (I messaged API asking their opinion about whether I should use a FW or SW testing kit and an employee of API emailed me back saying he uses FW testing kits for his BW tank so I use that) as well as the API gH and kH testing kit. When I test for gH using water from my tank it stays orange no matter if I put 5 drops in or 40. However I tested plain tap water from my bathroom sink and it turns green on the first drop. Does anyone know either what I'm doing wrong or a better way to test for gH in BW???
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: gH??

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I don't test gH.
How come no nitrate?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Re: gH??

Post by JRC3 »

IME you cannot use the API or Tetra GH test kit to test BW as it will read extremely high every time. For example, my tapwater GH test at a low 7 degrees or so...But my BW tankwater tested at like 50+ degrees (drops). Only test KH with BW and you'll be good.

I'm guessing this applies to other test kit brands as well.

Your KH is low, btw. Almost as low as mine.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.