Water change equipment

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Nic479
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Uk

Water change equipment

Post by Nic479 »

Hi,

I'm trying to find the best way to do brackish water changes? Ie do people mix water in some sort of water container then use a pump to fill tank or would this work being lower than the tank? I've seen those python things but they only work on your tap? (Not brackish!) I know you can also get the reef float but they are very expensive! HELP :shock:
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Re: Water change equipment

Post by JRC3 »

What size aquarium?

Most of us use a Rubbermade "Big Brute" trash can. Not sure what is available for you but any food safe container that is heavy duty enough to hold water should be fine. I use a fountain/pond pump to mix the water and also transfer it to the tank. Some people use a powerhead. A heater can also be used to keep the mixed water the same temp as the tank.

Here's a vid I just found that explains pretty well.
http://youtu.be/LN5WypLDZxA

You can also make a one of these to help with draining and filling. http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk16 ... filler.jpg
Last edited by JRC3 on Sun May 05, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You can use the Python to drain the water while cleaning substrate but you are correct about needing a pump to get the BW back up into the tank to fill.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Nic479
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Uk

Post by Nic479 »

Thanks everyone! You have confirmed what I thought! You have got to think about your own health when doing these things ( can always tell who the spinal nurse is, lol )
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

My techniques are pretty much the same as the above. The Python is used for water removal and vacuuming substrate from the occupied tank. Food safe plastics and spare fish tanks for python filling with tap water, That water is moved by pumps to spare tanks for adding marine mix to the proper level. The use water is again pumped to the fish tank. Pressure pumps can lift water as required.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, I forgot to mention, those same pumps can be used for proper mixing of salt into holding water.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"