Water

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Nic479
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Uk

Water

Post by Nic479 »

:? Hi guys,

Don't know if I'm being incredibly stupid here, but have just got my first GSP. He's only very young and I'm starting to think about what I'm going to need in order to start turning his water brackish. I've read up on all the things like doing it very slowly so I don't ruin the filter colonies, and how to calculate what amount of salt I would need, BUT, now here comes the elephant in the room...... Do I have to use RO water, or can I use regular tap water?
Squaffy
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1xF8
Location (country): UK

Re: Water

Post by Squaffy »

Tap water will be fine. What are the parameters of your tap water? Here on the Isle of Wight we have very hard water from a chalk aquifer, so it's naturally buffered at pH 8.2. If you're in a soft water area, you might consider using a suitable buffer to increase the pH (aragonite sand does the job) 8)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

No need to wait. Even smallGSPs are fine in BW, even SW: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15647

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Tap water is fine IF it has low nitrate titer out of the tap. Some UK areas do not have good water for fishkeeping (or drinking for that matter)
Where's the fish? - Neptune