Help. High Brackish Plants

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
itssteff
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): United States

Help. High Brackish Plants

Post by itssteff »

I have a high brackish tank set up- the salinity is usually 1.019-20. I currently have a bunch of plastic plants in it- but some of them seem to slowly become fragile and leaves are starting to breaking off.

I've spent some time googling plants and such, but most seem to be okay for lower brackish set-ups. I''m at a loss for what might be okay in my high brackish tank. I'd really hate to have to simply replace my plastic plants every month because they aren't handling the salty water well- I'd like to use something that will last. Is there live or plastic anything I can use that I won't have to worry about as often?

My little guys really seem to love their set up (I have TONS of plants in the tank)- and the ghost shrimp (whom by the way are doing great in a high brackish tank) need the hiding spots that come from the plants so my "if I see it, I eat it" guys won't eat them all in one sitting.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Help. High Brackish Plants

Post by RTR »

Seagrass is the only vascular plant which will take high-end BW.

But there are many macroalgae which will do fine in full SW, The selection in the trade is very thin and uncommon, in part because their culture can be quite demanding. The few hobbyists who have kept such tend to collect their own.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
At this point, I highly suggest setting up your tank as SW. Add live rock, powerheads & a protein skimmer. You will be doing many leSS water changes on that tank & it will open you up to all sorts of new, interesting life in there!
There was a gal here who kept a SW tank with lots of nice macroalgae.

I believe this was her tank:
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sgtmyers88
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Thats interesting that you have had problems keeping plastic plant replicas in your brackish tank. How old are they and where did you buy them? I have had a Brackish/Saltwater tank set up for over a year with plastics in there with no problems.

Here is a video of my tank:
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
itssteff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by itssteff »

I've been considering going SW; but trying to figure out everything I need sometimes is just so overwhelming. I have been making a list though- so if I do, it'll happen within the next few weeks. And for SW, how much higher do I need to go for the salinity?

That tank is gorgeous!

Right now, I'm changing the water once, sometimes twice a week; depending on how much a mess they've been making.

The plastic plants aren't old at all- some are a month old and some are a few weeks old. I got some of them at Walmart and a few of them at a local pet store. All of them are starting to look like a mess though. When I remove them to clean all the left over crap from the sand, a few of the leaves have started falling off. Others have holes and rips on them- like they're going to fall apart soon.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

And for SW, how much higher do I need to go for the salinity?
You're there. ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"