Nerite escape artist

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Nerite escape artist

Post by G S P Freak »

Ok, so I recently got a zebra nerite snail for my BW f8 tank, and it seems to spend all of its time at or above the waterlline. Recently I found it stuck on the bottom of the aquarium hood. Is this normal, if not what can I do to fix it? Is it a water quality issue?
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Re: Nerite escape artist

Post by Tim »

G S P Freak wrote:Ok, so I recently got a zebra nerite snail for my BW f8 tank, and it seems to spend all of its time at or above the waterlline. Recently I found it stuck on the bottom of the aquarium hood. Is this normal, if not what can I do to fix it? Is it a water quality issue?
Generally snails try to leave the aquarium if there is no food or if the water quality is very poor.
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Re: Nerite escape artist

Post by G S P Freak »

Tim wrote:
G S P Freak wrote:Ok, so I recently got a zebra nerite snail for my BW f8 tank, and it seems to spend all of its time at or above the waterlline. Recently I found it stuck on the bottom of the aquarium hood. Is this normal, if not what can I do to fix it? Is it a water quality issue?
Generally snails try to leave the aquarium if there is no food or if the water quality is very poor.
Hm, well my water quality isn't poor, or my puffer would be sick, so it must be a food problem. I'll try throwing in a piece of leafy green/cucumber or something and see if that helps. I heard snails hate copper, but I use prime for tap and have used RO/DI water, so I doubt this is the problem. Maybe he's getting used to the BW, the lfs kept them in FW.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me