Filter for new tank setup

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Filter for new tank setup

Post by G S P Freak »

Hey everyone, I'm upgrading my young GSP's brackish tank, and I'm wondering what filter you'd reccomend? Also do you think I could use/need a protein skimmer? Right now my GSP (we'll refer to him by his name now; Cosmo), is about 1-1.5" or so, and residing in a 10g tank with a filter for a 20g tank, S.G.1.008. Cosmo, a red-legged hermit, java fern, and a ghost shrimp (a snack he decided not to eat... so now it's a tamnkmate), are going to be transfered to the new tank along with the old substrate (crushed shells) and decorations to help cycle the new aquarium... well anyways, back to the main questions, what filter would you reccomend for the new tank? It's gonna be a 29 gallon, at the same S.G. as his old tank. I was looking on ebay and found that so far I like the aquaclear 70 and marineland emperor 280. Do think one of those would be good? Or should I get something else? Also, what powerhead would you reccomend for the tank? P.S. Please take into account I'm a college student with a limited budget, I'm willing to spend around $50-60 max for a decent filter. Thanks!
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Re: Filter for new tank setup

Post by Tim »

I use a Fluval 205 on my 30gallon that does the job just fine. Also don't think they are that expensive 2nd hand.

Skimmers don't really work that well sub-marine salinity if I remember correctly.
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Why not just go for a sump? A marine system will cost you less in the long run. Get a tank with a sump and run your old filter for now and jobs a goodun
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

Hm, I was looking around for used fluval 205's, and they look like they might fit the bill nicely, so to speak. As for a full-marine sump setup... It does make sense, but I'm not quiet sure about it yet, I'll definitely give it some more thought though. Aren't sump setup's expensive? Sorry I've had little to no experience with marine setups, I generally stick to fresh/brackish, so excuse me for my ignorance =P. Anyways, I'm still researching so any and all suggestions are welcome, thanks everyone =D.
Last edited by G S P Freak on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Long term it will work out cheaper, plus you can hide your heaters out from the dt
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

For a sump just use the old 10g and fill it with live rock and sand. Macroalgae such as a fist sized clump of speghetti algae would also work nicely with the live rock just make sure it has good lighting. The only part you may have trouble with is the skimmer. The cheapest "good" skimmer will probably be the coralife brand at $200 but you will have to set it up to where it doesnt overflow. I was fortunate to get my coralife for free on craigslist. You can try looking for one on there you may be surprised to find a good deal.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

Long term it will work out cheaper, plus you can hide your heaters out from the dt
I can't say I disagree at all, but unfortunately in my situation/budget, spending more now to spend less in the long term, as opposed to spending little now and spending more later on, is a better option for me. By the time I'd need/want to go full marine, I'd have more cash to throw around for a nicer setup =P.
I'll definitely be checking around online for some nice deals, and see what I can pull up though. As for right now I'm leaning towards more of some kind of hang-on/canister filters. I've had great success with my canister filter for my turtle tank, and my turtle is MESSY, puts puffers to shame tbh lol... the canister filter I'm using is just a cheap brand too, SunSun, some chinese made one, which surpisingly doesnt work too bad. For my puffer I'd be willing to shell out more for a fluval one if needed, as I'm aware of how sensitive they are. My turtle, I'm willing to bet, is 1000X more resilient. I might just forego the skimmer for now though, seeing as it's probably not entirely necessary.

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot, here are a few I've seen that interest me;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261098237360?ss ... 1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130697060331?ss ... 1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280966815977?ss ... 1423.l2649
-John Ruskin-
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

Hi everyone, update on my final decision. I won a fluval 205 on an ebay auction and got a pretty good deal (filter was said to have been used for 2 months in a freshwater aquarium), and only payed $46 US dollars +$8 shipping, for a grand total of only $54 US dollars. It's being shipped as I speak and I've begun cycling the newer tank so it's ready around/by the time the filter arrives. As for the sump, I don't mean to ignore your ideas (I know your all practically experts when it comes to this stuff), but I've decided against it because of salt cost(why spend more now when I don't have to yet, GSP is still juvenile), cost of new saltwater equipment/live rock, decorations, and modifcations to create the sump, etc. I will be eventually getting a 55 gallon tank when I'm out of college though, and plan on making the 30 gallon into a sump when the time comes. I appreciate the advice and help, thanks everyone!
-John Ruskin-