Digital pH Meter?

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
skoram
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Korea

Digital pH Meter?

Post by skoram »

I found a refractometer + digital pH meter combo on eBay for 40 bucks and both arrived in the mail today. Just curious if anyone has had any experience with digital pH meters. I have a liquid pH test kit so I guess I can find out for myself just how reliable the digital meter is. For reference, here is the exact product I purchased:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALINITY-REFRAC ... 681wt_1163
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Digital pH Meter?

Post by bertie 83 »

Let us know how it goes,
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Electronic/digital test equipment can be very useful, provided that is kept up and cleaned and well calibrated. Such equipment tends to be quite sensitive to stray voltage, so sample should be read on calibrated instruments in sample vials outside the tank. Standard solutions are required for calibration, and generally should be at least two-point calibrations.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
skoram
Puffer Fry

Post by skoram »

Thanks for the information RTR. The meter did come with 2 standard calibration solutions. Unfortunately, when I got home and gave it a try, I found that the unit wouldn't turn on, even though it's supposed to come with a new set of batteries.

On a positive note, however, the refractometer is *amazing* - I couldn't believe how much more quick, easy and accurate it was compared to the red sea hydrometer I was using. whoever made that post wasn't kidding when they said a refractometer is one of the investments you can make for a BW or SW tank.
skoram
Puffer Fry

Post by skoram »

Finally replaced the batteries and got the thing working. I calibrated it using a pH 6.86 solution (it initially gave a reading of 6.75), then tested using a pH 4.00 solution. Everything seemed to work fine. Measured the pH of my tank using Tetra's Freshwater pH kit (1.004 sg) and the color seemed to indicate that the water was around 8.0 (hard to be sure due to lighting and shadows). Tested again using the digital pH meter and got a reading that fluctuated back and forth between 8.13 and 8.14.

I will say that this sure beats the heck out of trying to figure out what shade of blue or green your liquid pH test is showing.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

If you are willing to maintain them, the electronic testers do a great job.
Where's the fish? - Neptune