New GSP Tank

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
bighex
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Re: New GSP Tank

Post by bighex »

I wish I had cycled it as a freshwater now. I'm almost thinking about starting over with fresh, this ammonia method with questionable bacteria (i.e. did those on the sponge filter from the lfs store survive the transition?) has got me wondering. So far the ammonia drop has been very small over a 24-36 hour period, and no nitrite. It doesn't appear there is much activity. I don't mind waiting, but it's the lack of knowledge and experience that bothers me. Am I just going to have to start over in a few weeks? If I don't have viable bacteria form the sponge, will they appear naturally? If so, is that like a 6 week process? Should I consider starting over with fresh as i have some good mature material I could use from my freshwater tanks?

Any opinions, experiences, or advice are welcome. Sometimes I think I just need to think this stuff out by writing it down. :)
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Just stick with it, if ammo is dropping then there are bacteria present, just not enough. It will come together faster than you may think now you are on the way
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
bighex
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by bighex »

Thanks for the encouragment Bertie!