Combating algae growth while slowly transitioning to bw/sw?

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Green bay, WI, U.S.

Combating algae growth while slowly transitioning to bw/sw?

Post by LongGrain »

Asking this on behalf of my girlfriend, since I do most of the maintenance on her tank. She has a 30g that we cycled using Dr. Tim's for fresh water. We set this tank up for a single GSP. Filtration is handled by a marineland biowheel 200 and lighting is with a marineland LED hood with day/night lights.

We started the tank as FW because thats what her fish was kept in prior to us picking it up. The puffer is NOT a walmart purchase, he was orphaned at the LFS and healthy as a horse, the owner didn't have anywhere to keep him so he gave him to us. The problem we are having with the tank is algae growth. This tank grows algae like none i've seen, the whole tank will be covered in green if left alone for a day or two. She finds herself siphoning out green sand every other day or so. What are some ways to keep this epidemic under control besides just constant cleaning? will upping the salinity get rid of this issue somewhat? We wanted to make sure the fish and tank were healthy and stable before starting the transition, today we did the first bump from 1.000 to 1.002 and we plan on upping the salinity each week by the same amount until reaching 1.010, where we'll sit for a while and observe before going further. Her puffer is still very young, but appears very healthy going on 2 months now. He eats well (diet of shrimp, blood worms and baby ramshorn snails occasionally), white belly, bright green and very adventurous and inquisitive, we just want to get this eyesore algae under control!

My current approach is to up salinity weekly and cut down on light hours, just wondering what you all do. Any input is appreciated.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Combating algae growth while slowly transitioning to bw/sw?

Post by bertie 83 »

Yep just keep up with water changes and reduce light, the salinity increase should help also
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Green bay, WI, U.S.

Post by LongGrain »

thanks!
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

If you have nutrients and light, algae will grow. When resources are available Mother Nature will somthing to utilize them.

Reduce the light and the nutrients (nitrates and phosphates especially) and the algae will slow or stop.
Where's the fish? - Neptune