Aquaclear or Fluval?

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

Aquaclear or Fluval?

Post by Gooburz »

I really like what i've been suggested by going with the Aquaclear but i've also seen Fluval Power Filter's by the same company that makes aquaclear (Hagen). Is 1 better than the other? basically what it boils down too, both of them have great reviews so would it be a personal preference or is 1 better than the other?

Suggestions/opinions?
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Re: Aquaclear or Fluval?

Post by El Scorpio »

Probably more preference than anything, but I've always had good luck with Aquaclear in the past. I wouldn't see any reason to use different equipment.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Isn't the Fluval a canister?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

Fluval does make canister and the hang on back filters. They make models very similar to aquaclear, i was just wondering what people thought of the 2 being that they are from the same manufacture.
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

I always thought that Fluval made canister filters, also. BUT they have been making great line of Aquarium produc other then canister filters. Like their sub. heaters and such. I never came across their line of HOB filters yet. And Aquaclear is one of the best HOB filters out there. So most of us own and use the AC filters. I still have one thats is over 20 years old and still running. Aquaclear makes long lasting HOB filters.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

Yes i'm going to go with the aquaclear filter and also use my Marineland filter as well since its still fairly new and can't hurt to run the both of them. just gonna mod the Marineland filter to improve it
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Arrowhead / Suvattii
Location (country): UK

Post by suvattii2012 »

I have a fluval uv internal finler its nearly as high as my tank but seems to work great.
Arrowhead
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Some folks (including me) prefer canisters for ease and control of operation along with higher efficiency and more flow control. Others prefer the simplicity of HOB styles. That is really just personal choice.

To me, HOBs are noisy and splashy and offer little possibility od current control throughout the tank. But That is pure personal choice.

I consider that the widespread belief that the high turnover rates of HOBs should be reuired also with canister use. But in practice that is an efficiency function and it varies widely from filter to filter. HOBs are always less efficient than canisters, but they are also less fiddly in operation than canisters. I am compul;sive and like to fine-tune current. That is pure personal choice.

There is no "best" filter format. It depend entirely on the way you as an individual elect to run your tanks.
Where's the fish? - Neptune