Using sand for the 1st time, please help!

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

Using sand for the 1st time, please help!

Post by Gooburz »

So when i move i'm going to be setting up the new 55gal (well its used but in great shape) however this will be my first time using sand/coral mix rather than using regular rock. I know that I will have to rinse it well, until it goes clear from what i've seen. However i've heard multiple people saying how cloudy their water gets, i know you need to pour the water in the tank slowly and not directly into the sand mix but use a bowl or something to that effect.

If the water gets cloudy does it go away and does using the filter help speed this process up? Never dealt with this so i'm asking now so i can be ready once i move because priority 1 will be getting this tank up and running so it can start cycling so i can get my F8 Puffers in their new home.
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Re: Using sand for the 1st time, please help!

Post by Gooburz »

Also to add on to the first post i have been using both the salt water test kits and the fresh water ones (API Master test kits). I am running brackish tank and the SG is 1.005 give or take .001. Now with that being said which test kit is better or more accurate the freshwater one or the saltwater? suggestions because i've been hearing fresh is better and hearing the salt one is better. I'm gonna keep using both if needs be.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Pour water onto a plate to reduce clouding, an additional filter with filter floss will clear any clouding in no time
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

Use the FW test kit for now. Only change over to SW once the SG is 1.018+ but since these are F8's FW is the way to go.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Calcareous sands never rinse clear - simple stirring breaks off enough fines to cloud the water a bit.

I use a plate with a shallow bowl on it break the force of adding water to new tank with aragonite sand.

There are two options beyond the pour. One option and the one I usually follow is to leave all pumps off for 24-48 hours to allow the tank to clear by sedimentation. The other is the path suggested above by bertie of adding extra filtration with fine floss to capture the fines suspended in the water. Both options work. I prefer the standing w/o flow option to preserve as many fines as possible, as those smallest particles are ones that will dissolve most easily in the future to preserve sufficient KH. But the difference is not great, both do work.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

If the tank is still cloudy after the above advice, add floss to your filter. It will "polish" your water crystal clear. I use it in all my filters. You can buy big bags of it at sewing machine stores.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

now when you say floss what exactly is it? and when i add it to the filter just put it in front of the filter cartridge? i know most of you will get a kick out of that but i've never heard of it so i'd rather ask and look stupid than not ask and miss out on something useful. Also is it something that could be used on a regular basis with my filters?

This is great advice to using sand/coral mix for the 1st time, i've always liked the way it looked but never used it. I think i'll try filling the tank and just letting it sit for the period mentioned then running the filter and start a cycle to get the tank up and running for the F8's new home. really can't stand that i don't move out for a month, dyin to get this tank up and running...

Thanks again for the help/advise. and am i the only one who has a fiance/wife that thinks they are crazy for wanting to do so much for these little guys?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Toss the crap filter with cartridges & get an Aquaclear. You can pack it as you wish.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Filter floss is basically pillow stuffing, it clogs quick and needs changing regularly but gosh it gets the water clear
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

I'll have to look into the Aquaclear filters and back to the Floss, how often would you say you have to change it out (rough guesstimate)
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

I do mine weekly. You may sometimes need to do it more or less, your filter flow rate will tell you when, change before flow drops too much tho.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Wouldn't using of the Whisper bio bag filter media essentially work in the same manner? I actually stuffed an Aqueon and Marineland HOB filter with one as a secondary stage of filtration. I have also used the Aquaclear sponges as well. I do admit the Aquaclear sponges do make good custom made bio prefilters for using in other types of power filters if you cut the bricks in two and in those two sections cut a hole in one end of the sponge and slide it over your intake tube of a HOB filter or even a submersible powerhead.

More about my setup here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29944

Image Image
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Never, ever, apologize for asking for definitions or clarifications. That is why we are here. Every hobby or field has its own vocabulary.

The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

+1. sometimes we all ask questions which seem silly. They are intact rarely that. As you say you would not want to miss out on something useful, and although a pita floss is certainly useful, if not amazing
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

Pufferpunk wrote:Toss the crap filter with cartridges & get an Aquaclear. You can pack it as you wish.

I looked into those Aquaclear filters and they do seem pretty good so i'm gonna run my 1 Marineland filter along with a Aquaclear (dual filters). No sense in getting ride of the 1 Marineland filter i have and running the 2 of them will be a plus, can't hurt to have more filtering, just gonna try to modify the Marineland filter.