What the best food to gutload river shrimp?

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

Hey Guys

Is there a brand of food you can recommend?

Thanks
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Re: What the best food to gutload river shrimp?

Post by Arny »

CoCoPuffs
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): usa

Post by CoCoPuffs »

I suppose. But I thought the idea was to bolster protein & nutrients. How nutritious is that algae disc?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Best way to get veggies into our puffers!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I never suggest any single food for gut-loading, growth, or nutrition. A variety of "quality"* foods in rotation is more likely to cover the bases and provide a well rounded and healthy diet.

*"Quality" means only recognized brands that are widely used for aquatic fish and inverts. What one lacks or has in excess, the others may well compensate. My feedings change at every meal, not repeating for at least a week and a half.

The in-use prepared (room temp storage) foods are in smallish containers each holding no more than 2-3 weeks' supply. Larger containers may be stored under other conditions (refrigerator or freezer or at least cooler areas). The storage life of prepared foods is shortened markedly by opening and closing in warm, humid areas (oxygen, humidity, and elevated temperature exposure). The best most nutritious food will not be seriously degraded after being opened to ambient air daily or alternate days for weeks to months. If you must buy larger containers, save the smaller ones to dole out shorter-term use amounts and keep the bulk under more appropriate conditions. The seals are used by most manufacturers for a very good reason - they preserve and prortct the contents. We cannot really reseal the containers as well, but we can use smaller containers for near-term use.

As with many aquarium things, the devil is in the details.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Absolutely vary what u gutload. I used to include peas in gutloading until I discovered my puffer would eat as many as I am willing to feed him. I use bloodworm, mysis,Veggies, algae wafers, flake food and daphnia. All in one batch of shrimp. I basically feed veggies and any food that's too small for him to even bother with lol. He recently decided he likes bloodworm again so I limit that in gutloading as I feed it to him directly.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly