Bored GSP

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
sarahsedaii
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Cookeville, TN

Bored GSP

Post by sarahsedaii »

Hi! This is my first post so let me give a little background. I have 2 GSP. Due to misinformation, I had them in a 10 gal tank with some Danos for almost a year. I started to read about them (because what would make me think that my LFS would sell me fish knowing that they were not suited for my tank) and I found out that I was basically torturing my favorite fish. Fast forward just a few weeks, and my GSPs are happily (i hope) in a cycled 55 gal tank with lots of fake plants and places to hide and better food. I am in the process of adding salt to create BW. I am at 1.002 salt right now. I don't want to shock the puffers with a lot of salt all at once.

They have been in the new tank for almost 2 months. I don't know if this is normal, but whenever I look, they are always in the right corner of the tank pacing. The pacing really badly when I am sitting on the sofa next to the tank. When I sit right in front of the tank, they will come to the other side to beg for food. Other than that, they have no interested at all in the rest of their giant tank! I am worried that they are still bored. There color is much better since I moved them. Their appetite is much better. Should I be worried that they are still bored and unhappy?

Edit: Also, I cannot seem to browse or view any of the articles in the library. Any suggestions? I use Google Chrome as a browser.

Thanks!

Sarah
RVS
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Currently:
2 T. Nigroviridis
20 C. Travancoricus.
Also Kept:
M. Abei
Other BF:
A hundred of Brackish P. Velifera & P. sphenops.
Pure Parambassis Ranga.
Location (country): Mexico lindo y querido!

Re: Bored GSP

Post by RVS »

That is a salinity problem, you should be raising SG 2º every 4 days. if you are at 1.002 i recommend you to rise to 1.004 in 4 days and so on...

Remember that minimum SG for GSP is 1.010
And you should try to put some small internal filter to create current... that motive them to move!
Lets wait for more suggestions ñ_ñ
Let there be light, and lit up the days... Let there be puffers, and they swam around the world...
PuffGenesis, 1, 1.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Usually suggestion around here is NOT to raise the SG faster than .002/week. the puffers can handle it but the bacteria cannot. I do agree with adding some current though.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Post by sevenyearnight »

Sometimes they don't handle change well, and will pace, pout, go on hunger strikes, etc. But, they usually snap out of it after a week or 2.
+1 to current, nothing monsoon like, but when I set up my circulation pumps, I angled one right toward the corner my GSP would pace, and now he swims all around the tank. He at first tried to pace, but the current kept sweeping him lol.
RVS
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Currently:
2 T. Nigroviridis
20 C. Travancoricus.
Also Kept:
M. Abei
Other BF:
A hundred of Brackish P. Velifera & P. sphenops.
Pure Parambassis Ranga.
Location (country): Mexico lindo y querido!

Post by RVS »

nothing monsoon like

LOL!!!! hehehe +1 to this.. be careful... just a gentle current :D

Well i said 4 days cuz in my case bacteria handle it, i guess thats because i´ve got a large bio load 8)
+1 to PP comment, 2º per week its ok to avoid any problem.
Let there be light, and lit up the days... Let there be puffers, and they swam around the world...
PuffGenesis, 1, 1.
sarahsedaii
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Cookeville, TN

Post by sarahsedaii »

thanks for the advice. I have been spying on the puffers since I posted, and they seem to only pace when I am around...weird huh? I did raise the salinity, so I am about 1.0004 now. It is hard to tell with a floating hydrometer. They still chill in caves too much for my liking, but hopefully in a few weeks, the salinity will help.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

I have noticed a lot of pacing from my GSP's since I changed my tank and raised the salinity to 1.014.. It is worse when I am around but occasionally the would stop and look over at me and then resume more vigorously. I guess they are mad at me.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.