20 Gallon Brackish Planted Setup Advice (Figure 8)

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
huffnpuff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

20 Gallon Brackish Planted Setup Advice (Figure 8)

Post by huffnpuff »

I've been doing some research on setting up a tank for a Figure 8. I would really like to have a planted tank with some driftwood, which I realize creates some unique problems. I was hoping to get some feedback on my current plan.

A little bit of history: I have successfully kept freshwater aquariums and nano reef aquariums. I know the specific requirements for keeping a Figure 8 puffer. I am looking for any particular advice for my setup or maintenance issues that you might see. As we all know, a well thought out and easy to maintain aquarium is much more enjoyable. I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Tank: 20 Gallon Long

Filtration: Hagen Aquaclear (10x turnover rate)

Lighting: Aqueon Coralife 2x18w T5-NO or Marineland Double Bright LED. I'm leaning towards the T5-NO. I think the T5's would be better for plants. However, I don't like the idea of buying two T5 bulbs every year.

Substrate: Either coarse aragonite sand (3mm range) or crushed coral. I've used fine sand in my reef tanks, and know how difficult it can be to vacuum and stir. Possibly a coarse sand would solve this problem, but I like the idea of how easy crushed coral is to clean. I'm really up in the air on this one.

Plants: I will be trying my hand at a few plants to see what takes off. Currently on my list is Java Moss, Java Fern, Anachris, Banana Plants, Anubias Nana, Giant Hair Grass, and Marimo. I realize some might flourish, and some might not work out well. This will be partly trial and error.

Decor: Multiple rocks to create nooks and caves. Here's the kicker: I would like driftwood in my aquarium. I like the idea of anchoring plants to the driftwood and creating places to explore. I was thinking 2 pieces of wood, each measuring 8"-10". I've read that the wood can release tannins, break down, or lower the pH of a brackish aquarium. I get a little confused because I'm sure that driftwood is a natural occurrence in this type habitat. Can anyone chime in with any experience on this?

I will be setting this tank up completely freshwater for cycling. After cycling, I will be adding plants, followed by the Figure 8 (it will arrive in freshwater from the fish store). After everyone is healthy and happy for a week or so, then I will begin raising the salinity to brackish conditions.
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous

Re: 20 Gallon Brackish Planted Setup Advice (Figure 8)

Post by sevenyearnight »

Keep your salinity at 1.003 and this may be easier for the plants to adjust to, double check to see which plants are brackish tolerant so you don't waste your money and save the plant matter decomposing.
Keep your lighting and plant requirements low so you will not need to supplement C02, puffers need very high oxygen levels.
With regular water changes, and aragonite substrate, you should be able to maintain your hardness, however do cure the driftwood before adding it to the tank.
zombiefetus
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Illinois, USA

Post by zombiefetus »

1.003 is a bit low for a F8. I'd think 1.005 would be the lowest you'd want to go.
I don't think driftwood does well with salt, but I don't know any of the mechanics of it.

Brackish plants:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubW ... plants.htm
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/to ... h-aquaria/
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=8
(^oops, domain expired! Current url is: http://greenspottedpuffer.webs.com)
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

1.003 - 1.005 is suggested for Figure 8 puffers, no higher. RTR did a study on them and that is what was found to be optimal.
zombiefetus
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Illinois, USA

Post by zombiefetus »

sevenyearnight wrote:1.003 - 1.005 is suggested for Figure 8 puffers, no higher. RTR did a study on them and that is what was found to be optimal.
Really? I hadn't heard that. Clearly I've been away far too long.
(^oops, domain expired! Current url is: http://greenspottedpuffer.webs.com)
PolishPuff
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: ________

Also cared for;

Fahaka------------------- Had to give it away
Auriglobus modestus-----Traded
Auriglobus silus ---------Died during transport.
Figure Eight Puffers -----Sold and or traded
Dwarf Puffers ------------Traded
Congo Puffer ------------Traded
South American Puffers -Traded
Carinotetraodon lorteti --Died under my supervision :(
Location (country): USA-Chicago, IL

Post by PolishPuff »

I've did read an article here on TPF about some FW plant doing OK in 1.005 ( which is recommended for F8 )

I did not try it my self and I do not have the list of those plants but they are out there.
"Lost time is never found again" Benjamin Franklin