please help!

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
ckutzer
Puffer Fry
Location (country): usa

please help!

Post by ckutzer »

i have a 2 year old freshwater tank that i am turning into a brackish tank. bought a small heater, water circulator and bucket to mix marine salt into water to prep for the tank. i purchased a F8 puffer that is supposed to be in brackish water and i will receive him tuesday. i was told just to mix the marine salt into 3-4 gallons enough for the 20 gallon tank 24 hrs in advance. then remove some of the my old water and mix in the 3-4 gallons of new salted water. is that correct? how much in advance should i do this prior to putting my new puffer in it?
also cant seem to figure out how to put together the pump to circulate the water in the bucket. uhg
ckutzer
Puffer Fry
Location (country): usa

Re: please help!

Post by ckutzer »

forgot- also am not sure the exact amount of marine salt to water for brackish. can you helpl?
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Post by sevenyearnight »

You can only safely raise the SG by .002 a week, our you'll destroy your bio filter. You have to have a hydrometer to measure your salt water level. If your total volume is 20 gallons subtract a few gallons for substrate and decor displacement, and you will need to know the exact amount for your exchange water. So if 4 gallons, then add salt to raise it to the desired amount using this calculator http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calc ... linity.php
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"