Brackish Water Plants

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Brackish Water Plants

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
wednesday
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: four GSP's
Location (country): Spokane Washington

Re: Brackish Water Plants

Post by wednesday »

This is a great article, kinda makes me want to try again.... however I have had java fern,java moss, and sea grass all three have failed.. I kept them alive for about 4-6 months, as my salinity increased, they decreased. I finally broke down and took them out of the brackish environment, and put them in my fresh water tank (which is becoming over run by bottle brush algae...arrg!.) now my tank of GSP's has no greenery.

I'd rather have no plants than go plastic... any insight? do you guys think my puffers would like plants, in addition to a bunch of rocks?
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

What's wrong with plastic or silk? There are some really nice ones out there.

I don't think there are any commonly traded plants that will do well in the reccomended salinity for GSPs.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
pufferfreak
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by pufferfreak »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:I don't think there are any commonly traded plants that will do well in the reccomended salinity for GSPs.
There is some right here. http://www.reefcleaners.org
Generally macro algae can be found at any marine fish store.
AthrunZala
Dwarf Puffer

Post by AthrunZala »

is it possible for any plants to live in low end brackish water with f8's in salinity about 1.005-1.010
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Actually, pufferfreak, macroalgae isn't a plant. It lacks a vascular system. The other stuff - yeah, I knew they *existed,* I just haven't seen them in stores.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

pufferfreak
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by pufferfreak »

They are commonly known as marine plants. No you're not going to find a SW micro sword but you have eel grass and other marine "plants." M
jtbadco

Post by jtbadco »

I have 2 F8's in a 20 gal Brackish.....full of water sprite. It grows so well I sell off the excess.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

What's the salinity?

I AM A DUDETTE!

jtbadco

Post by jtbadco »

No idea what the actual salinity is......1 cup salt per 20 gal ...under dual 10,000K T5's
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

You should really check the salinity of that tank. It's very important to know the exact number. You should buy a hydrometer or refractometer.

I AM A DUDETTE!

Pufferluv09
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Porcupine puffer
Location (country): USA, Oregon

Post by Pufferluv09 »

That is a great article. I am happy to see that Anacharis can be kept brackish, because I have an abundant supply of it in my boyfriend's pond. I also would like to plant some Java Fern in my tank, but every time I check the store, it is sold out. :o
Pufferluv09 -is- Zyash
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

If 1 cup/5g estimates to 1.005, I'd say the SG is probably around 1.001. Not really the amount necessary to keep healthy F8s.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

jtbadco

Post by jtbadco »

Been very healthy and happy for 2 years+, thanx tho.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Considering this species can live over 18 years, 2 years really isn't very long.