Brackish Water Plants

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Brackish Water Plants

Post by RTR »

In general, a pale yellow background with medium to dark blue text is optimum for me, but the exact settings for any given site vary a lot with each site. Typefaces are critical- NYT New Roman is common and one of the absolute worst. Arial is usually quite good for me, but is quite prone to being garbled for some reason. Routine updates to the various programs can be nightmares these days due to conflicts with my many presets. We have had to put a hight-tech support group on retainer to keep me sane. One of their top wizards' father has the same condition I have, but at an earlier stage, so it is to his advantage to have my pleas for help to arm him with keeping his father in touch with the world with fewer frustrations than I have had. TOMs are great for folk with such issues, but are also nightmares to keep tuned.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Lilie
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): Germany

Post by Lilie »

What about Samolus valerandi or Crinum natans (C.aquatica) ? I just read about aquarium plants on a homepage: http://www.extraplant.de/aquarienpflanzen.html
It says that the first one I mentioned here likes brackishwater.
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Lilie wrote:What about Samolus valerandi or Crinum natans (C.aquatica) ? I just read about aquarium plants on a homepage: http://www.extraplant.de/aquarienpflanzen.html
It says that the first one I mentioned here likes brackishwater.
Neither did well for me but I suspect they needed higher light levels and a CO2 source. Aponogeton crispus has a similar leaf shape to the Natans and will thrive up to SG1.005@25°C it will also weather heat waves well although in real hot times you might want to drop your salinity closer to SG1.003 to compensate.
Gulie
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Cologne (Germany)

Post by Gulie »

Hi,
even if the topic is from long ago I like to share my experience so far.
In our tank at 1.003 densety, the cryptocoryne beckettii lost all its leaves but is growing back now nicely.
The Hygrophila corymbosa is doing well from start on.
Vallisneria spiralis and nana are going strong and produce 3-4 sproutings/shootings each batch.

Will give a Update on all plants 1 week after densety was set to 1.006

greetings from cologne
Fishlad
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by Fishlad »

Hi There --

I am in need of some help with brakish plants. I need to learn how to acclimate them from freshwater to brakish and also how to stop my puffers from eating them. Any help would be appreciated!!
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Fishlad wrote:Hi There --

I am in need of some help with brakish plants. I need to learn how to acclimate them from freshwater to brakish and also how to stop my puffers from eating them. Any help would be appreciated!!
You don't really need to acclimatise them because they're not going to be making a big jump in salinity, once you push over SG1.003-SG1.005 then the freshwater plants that we buy that tolerate brackish water will begin to struggle anyway.

My Figure 8 has never ate my plants.
genevieve
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 F8 puffer
Location (country): United States

Post by genevieve »

I just put some val in my BW tank from my FW tank. I did a very crude acclimation and then planted them. It's only 1.003. Also, they are infested with pond snails! Yummy yum yum! Hopefully the salinity won't kill the snail eggs. :(
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1x Green spotted pufferfish
Location (country): New Zealand

Post by Blinkey »

At 1.003 I think everything should be fine. In my previous brackish tank I initially had a healthy population of ramshorns that came in on java fern, that was before my puffer was introduced ;)
"Life, uh, finds a way"