Scratch that, betta's tank first

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
Joyfulgrl
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Scratch that, betta's tank first

Post by Joyfulgrl »

Just ordered some cparva,lucens, and rotala for haole fish's tank. He's a fairly active cool little guy who builds a bubble nest any time he's given frozen or live food. He's bit a super branchy piece of wood in his tank covered in Christmas moss. I think it's thrashing his fins though. Going for a more open, softer scaped tank. Thinking about tossing him into an empty 20 that's sitting in my bedroom but his little tank is in my closet and I really like seeing him come out fit a snack first thing in the morning and the closet is kind of the cats private boudoir and they like watching him.

So. Rotala rotundifolia, c. Lucens,, c.parva. think I'll thin Christmas moss and make a moss wall background and want to get some c. Balansae for the very back and to curl over the top, he does like his sense of privacy. After I get scraping sorted out I'd like to get some snowball shrimp and am otocinclus or 3. Probably skip otos unless everything moves to 20 because I feel bad if I have fewer than 6. Fish guit.

Really helps to sketch things out aloud.
Joyfulgrl
Puffer Fry

Re: Scratch that, betta's tank first

Post by Joyfulgrl »

Joyfulgrl
Puffer Fry

Post by Joyfulgrl »

Well that was unexpected. I've been working on painting and other household projects and with chemicals dangerous to the cats so they've been in their room. Looks like the boys used the betta shelf as a laugh pad. The whole thing dropped down to the shelf below it, where I keep my pursestuff.

It dropped almost staight down, lost maybe a gallon of water and no other damage. The boys were sitting on the shelf looking confused and haole fish was waiting for dinner. It was hard to register what I was seeing, when you see something completely not right.. completely beat, exhausted, everyone was fine so I'm leaving it til Monday or Tuesday so I can finish stuff before room mates return. They're super chill but it's so much easier for everyone to not live in a torn up house.
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

Post by pokeystar »

wow a lucky escape
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

:catfish:
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Joyfulgrl
Puffer Fry

Post by Joyfulgrl »

For some extra ridiculousness. After the shelf collapsing and no damage to anything I dropped a bottle of perfume and chipped the top edge of the tank.

The tank is still fine though I'm irritated I'm the one who damaged it. I'll be putting in an extra shelf the cats cash use as a launch pad. The boys are between 17 and 23 pounds and parkour is one of their top 3 favorite activities after sleeping and eating.

Since I have to drain the tank to move it I'm going to strip out everything so it'll be ready to plant. Might as well make the best of things. He's staying in the smaller tank cause I really love my closet.
Joyfulgrl
Puffer Fry

Post by Joyfulgrl »

Haoles been living in a2 gallon vase with spider plants by the houses water heating system so he stays warm. Finally fixed shelf today in studs and with anchors. and cats have appropriate parkour shelf with carpetthat they prefer. Got the c parva today and planted in empty tank. I have a garbage sunsun power filter in it but with the house plants growing out of it and one or two 50% water changes I wasn't worried but somehow now I can't get the vile thing back together.

Sincerely glad I chose dinky tank to start with seeing as I'm feeling like an incompetent freak right now. I do want the moss wall background now. Another round of online shopping. He's maybe a year and a half with me. This guy better live a good long life after this.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I wish I could "Like" all of your posts!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Joyfulgrl
Puffer Fry

Post by Joyfulgrl »

There are so many things that can go wrong or sideways. I try to remember in the moment that they'll make good stories later.

On an incredibly depressing note I've been sick and out of it and didn't notice that goldfish filter came unplugged somehow. Wth. I realized when they looked sluggish. I have no idea what to do now other than plugged filter back in, 50% water change. Added a bit more salt. Antibiotic in water. Soaking food in antibiotic. Two are back to fine but the third is puffy with popped scales. This is how I lost the other two in two separate moves. I'm so incredibly depressed right now.

Dug out another filter, which I should have done when I set this tank up after moving. Incredible guilt that I didn't do it sooner.