New tank. What plants?

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
Otter
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Delaware, USA

New tank. What plants?

Post by Otter »

Hello everyone
I am going to be putting together a 10g planted tank soon. I have a lot of experience with house plants and gardening, but not as much with water plants.
I have narrowed some plants down based mostly on appearance. However, I know less about their difficulty. Below is a list of the plants that I like and I was hoping someone could help steer me away from any that are known as being difficult, so prolific that they will take over the tank, too tall for a 10g, or not compatible with each other

I would love to tell you exactly which light I have on the tank, but i have not gotten it in yet and I don't remember what I ordered from the pet store. I do know it is on par with a 20" Finnex Stingray

-10g
-LED lighting system (sorry)
-Aquaclear 20
-Aquatop GH50
-Black sand substrate

Foreground
-Banana plant
-Java moss
-Moss ball

Midground
-Water Sprite
-Java fern
-Dwarf sagittaria

Background
-Anacharis
-Cabomba
-Hortwort
-Myrio

Thank you
Jeff
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: New tank. What plants?

Post by Welch4 »

There may be a few members here that could chime in, but this question would be better aimed to a planted tank forum.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

I cant say as far as interaction between the plants but I would recommend going high tech since you already have the led light. Pressurized co2 injection and ferts.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Otter
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Delaware, USA

Post by Otter »

Thanks.
Maybe if I decide to upgrade. I have managed to narrow down the plants further now that I know that the fixture I have is a 13w
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

As Welch4 says a planted tank forum may help more but some of your chosen plants are easy while others will need higher light and additional CO2, with your size tank you could use liquid carbon instead of pressurised CO2 but the pressurised system will always show better growth.

The tropics website is good when researching plant difficulty: http://tropica.com/en

I don't know what lux level your light unit will produce so can't help to advise whether it will be a high light or low light system.