Please recommend live plants for freshwater tanks

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
TOPuffers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 3 pea puffers/dwarf puffers in a 20 G freshwater planted tank
29 G community tank with plecos, bamboo shrimp, khuli loaches, swordtails, neon tetras and apple snails
Location (country): Toronto, Canada

Please recommend live plants for freshwater tanks

Post by TOPuffers »

:D
Hi Puffer Forum!

I have read through many articles in the Puffer Library (which is incredibly thorough, I have learned a great deal about keeping a healthy tank).

I have not seen an article devoted to lists of plants the people would recommend as easy to maintain in a freshwater tank set up. Does anyone have any recommendations for plants that will do well in freshwater aquaria with the usual, off-the-rack LED light systems found in tank kits?

We have Ludwigia, Swords, Hairgrass, Baby Tears and Water Sprites in our two tanks and they seem to be thriving. We also threw in a couple of moss balls, mainly because they look nice - I can't tell if the moss balls are happy...

We are always looking to add new plants to give our fish something to explore, and our snails something to destroy o.O

Any recommendations for possible additions?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water - Loren Eiseley
loginthesand
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Fahaka puffer - Kreig the psycho
Location (country): New Zealand, by the beach

Re: Please recommend live plants for freshwater tanks

Post by loginthesand »

Apogenatons, barclaya, balanese crypts, hygrophillia augustafolia, red macaranda- requires iron dosing. Anything and everything is my method of choosing I add and see what grows in my tank at the moment I have about 20 apogenaton u dulatus babies in the tank.
rps20160410_175459.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

Post by pokeystar »

I would agree with the anything and everything quote above. I tend to go for shade tolearnt plants below and floating plants on the suface. I use plants to control nitrates and I scoop out 50% of the floating plants every so often. This way they work like a nitrate sponge.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Too many to list but Tropica have already done the work for us: http://tropica.com/en/plants/?tabIndex=1&alias=Easy