Emergency tank advice

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
JennLynn
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Ohio, USA

Emergency tank advice

Post by JennLynn »

Hi guys! So I hate to be here for guidance, but I recently ran into my first need for an "emergency set up"

came home one night after a 12 hr shift at work to find a cracked tank and drowning fish. I had a spare 55 gallon tank and some tetra safe start to make due. My levels are all safe (ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate .2) but I have extra bacteria that my colony can not yet take care of, and it's clouding up my tank. I read online that it is safe and should clear up.. But can I add some more safe start to amp up my colony?

Also noted: I only filled up 30 gallons of the 55. Should I slowly add to it during water changes or should I just commit and keep going with tetra safe start for the extra water added?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Emergency tank advice

Post by Pufferpunk »

Why aren't you filling the 55g? That would add extra dilution to the bioload. Add all the Safestart you want.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Sorry I can't help, but drowning fish! XD
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
JennLynn
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Ohio, USA

Post by JennLynn »

Honestly, puffer punk it was a decision based on panic that I wasn't sure if I could uncommit once I commited. But sounds great! More safe start it is!!

I figure the opposite of fish without water would be drowning, right? Since we drown in water, they would drown in air.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

JennLynn wrote:Honestly, puffer punk it was a decision based on panic that I wasn't sure if I could uncommit once I commited. But sounds great! More safe start it is!!

I figure the opposite of fish without water would be drowning, right? Since we drown in water, they would drown in air.
Absolutely love the logic!! :D :D :D :D

I might be reading your posts wrong but it seems that you might be getting a little confused about nitrifying bacteria, the amount of bacteria that you want your tank to have is dependant on the bioload created by the fish in your water, it is not dependant on the water volume itself.