Welch's 30g Long Planted.(stalled) and 6.5g bowfront

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Re: Welch's 30g Long Planted.

Post by Hillehaus »

looking good. Thanks for the updates. I'm enjoying following your progress. I hope you successfully do something I've never been able to do...get a nice lush carpet.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Hopefully. Fingers crossed. Still need to build out the post body for the c02 reg. body. Burkert solenoid, ideal metering vavle, brass bubble counter, and an in line reactor. I should have enough hc now to cover what I'm looking to. Found the right pieces of driftwood and moss. Last thing is trying to find some good black lava rock or dragon stone. I and building my Ada style cabinet. A process but should be worth it when it's done.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

The light has definitely made a difference. the HC is starting to fill out rather than growing straight up, and the glosso that was almost dead has started to spread out. Going to order the post body this Friday. Still need some good stones to work with. I might be ordering online since I have hit most of the local vendors.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Welch4 wrote:Image

The light has definitely made a difference. the HC is starting to fill out rather than growing straight up, and the glosso that was almost dead has started to spread out. Going to order the post body this Friday. Still need some good stones to work with. I might be ordering online since I have hit most of the local vendors.
Looking good, when will you be putting them under water?

As for rocks, the best ones I see are normally in garden centres rather than the LFS, you just need a big hammer, a sharp chisel and an afternoon without the kids!
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

Nice ill have to check that out. Once i make a decision on building or buying a stand i will flood it. it is currently just on a workbench in the garage. Temp is starting to drop so needs to be soon.
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

Stands are pretty cheap to make if you have the space and tools to do so. I don't regret making mine at all...well maybe I regret the doors a little. It was my first time building cabinet doors. I'll likely replace them now that I know the "right way" to do them. I just made a 2x4 frame and skinned it with .5" plywood. Stained and sealed (granted I had the stain and seal from the stairs I refurbished) I think I was under $100.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

Yeah I kind of let this build stall. I'm going to be picking up an iron stand next weekend due to it getting to cold out in the garage for the dry start to stay out there. I still plan on building an ada styled stand but it will might be a little while.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

So I decided to build after all. Its not skinned yet but i can do that at a later point.

I also placed the orders for the co2 reg parts, swagelock hardware, ideal valve, burkert solenoid.
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

looks good. Cant go wrong with a built stand. I find that every stand I've ever built has been over engineered to the point where I could support the full weight of my Jeep on it. 2x4's and 4x4's are amazingly strong...made much, much stronger by skinning it with ply. Half of the retail stands I've looked at (wood) for tanks appear like they will cave in if I breath on them to hard.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

Haha same exact thing I said about this one that it would hold the Silverado in the picture behind it. I just stained the stairs in my house in the interim I may stain it in untill I decide on a skin.
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

That's exactly what I did. I skinned and stained it with the leftovers from my stair/bannister project. Cant go wrong with 3/4" ply if you're willing to search through the stack for a decent grain. Though my experience in selecting pieces of ply have led me to believe that home depot only sells warped plywood.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

Definitely I have a fantastic lumber place 5 min from my house. Drive through warehouse as well tell them what you need the load it in your truck, as you pull out you pay. Always fantastic quality unfortunately it is obnoxiously expensive. I may have enough left from a prior project to skin most of it.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

So my 30g has been on hold to get my office tank that crashed, reworked. I moved my co2 into the office. Picked up a 6.25 gallon bowfront "arc" tank from Petco. Removed the internal filter and cleaned up the excess silicon, and cut down the glass hood to fit the fuval 20. The lights heater and c02 were attached. Filled with eco-complete. Lava rock added and HC that was dry started in my 30 was added. Has been up and running for 3 days now. Current stocking. 3 corys, 1 molly, 1 CPD, 3 black sakura shrimp. I will be moving out the molly and possibly the corys and trying to find more CPDs I got the last one at the store.

victor htp270d, all swagelok fittings, burkert 6011 solenoid, ideal valve 52-1-12

Trying to decide between painting the back of the tank black, or moving to a canister filter with inline heater, co2 diffuser and putting opaque window treatment on the back to have a color changing led back-lighting it. (so hard to stop throwing money at a tank)
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

The color changing LED would be cool but, I think you (yes, this is me supposing despite the fact I don't know you other than what I've read here, hehe) would get bored when the novelty wears off. A black painted back is a classic look and will really force the focus towards all of your hard work, which is the plants.

What is to stop you from moving to a canister filter with inline heater, co2 diffuser and having a black backdrop?

BTW, I have CO2 setup envy. well done. Looking forward to seeing more pictures. Also, I have juuuuuust about been inspired to clean up "the jungle" and begin maintaining my planted tank again. Just about. My wife would kill me if I put more money into that tank. Especially after my new LED light for my SW arrives...I am dead. Heh...hehehehe....
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

I am actually moving to the canister and inline diffuser. I found a highly rated a small finex for around 40 on amazon. The online another 20. And im making an inline heater out of a uniseal some pvc and a spare heater I have kicking around. So whole setup switch for around 70. Not to shabby when I was thinking at least 100 for the canister itself. I totally hear you on the expense its a pain but that is why I put the larger tank on hold. I'm actually battling some algea problems already in this tank but all the peices are there just need to dial it in. My next expenses I'm trying to restrain myself on is a 3 channel dosing pump for micro,macro, and auto top off.