Show me your snail tanks! & Snail tank talk!

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
genevieve
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 F8 puffer
Location (country): United States

Show me your snail tanks! & Snail tank talk!

Post by genevieve »

Sammy is starting her own snail-quarium to keep her beloved snails! We were wondering if you'd show us your snail breeding tanks! What do you recommend for snail tank decor? Should I leave it bare bottomed?

I was thinking about keeping a vacation fish food block in there at all times and then feeding algae pellets/lettuce every few days?

Also, could a valentini puffer eat pond snails?
itlagswrx
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (Pod)
Leopard Toby Puffer (Igor)
Location (country): Sonoran Desert

Re: Show me your snail tanks! & Snail tank talk!

Post by itlagswrx »

I haven't had my snails that long... Under a month for sure. I got them free at Petsmart (pest snails) and they were pretty small. Recently Over a week now, I have been seeing snail eggs along the sides of their container. I am just keeping them in the biggest storage container I could find at the Dollar Store. Would like to eventually do a 5 gallon snail-only tank, but that won't be for a couple of months. Would love to post a pic of my snails, but it's so n00b-like, that's it's not worth it right now lol.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Not ideal shape but it was the largest i could fit into what i had for available space. Have some java moss and aponogaeton uvlaceous along with a dozen cardinal tetras. I feed hikkari algae wafers. i am able to pull of the glass enough to keep my GSP happy and the occasional small ones for my dps (they primarily get fed live blackworms). The tank is a 15 gallon column with an aquaclear 50, sponge filter, aquatop heater, and a modified hood that holds two additional cfl bulbs.

Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
itlagswrx
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer (Pod)
Leopard Toby Puffer (Igor)
Location (country): Sonoran Desert

Post by itlagswrx »

Well, had a situation where my AC went out for two weeks (got to mid 90s in the house), and all but one snail in my snail breeding setup bit the bullet due to the heat. Called various fish stores/Petsmart/etc. but no freebies now for some odd reason. May have to just buy some ramshorn snails on ebay or something I was thinking. Can't find ramshorns in Phoenix, and no one will sell the pest/pond snails either.
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Post by Hillehaus »

Make sure you get them to add cold packs to your shipping package if you go with eBay. It's that time of year (especially in AZ) where sitting on the USPS or UPS loading dock will cook the little fellows. I've made that mistake once...erm...more than once.

My lfs frequently dries up on the snail populations. One day I'll get a dozen for free, one day they want to charge me $0.12 per snail......depends who's working.