Tank leak repair project

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Tank leak repair project

Post by defool89 »

Hey so my tank sprung a real bad leak. I dont want to buy new glass so im fixing what I have. I think I know what to do so im just going to post what im going through as I go through it this weekend. Any suggestions are welcome, if you have done this before or know things i should do please advise. Its obvious the glass shifted, as to why i can only attribute it to drastic weather changes. There are no cracks or chips on the glass just a uneven seam where the water spewed. It was a sight to behold, my little brother sent me a picture and I rushed home. I can safely say i lost about 30 gallons before I hooked up the vac to the sink and drained it faster.

My plans include, emptying the tank completely of gravel and decor, scraping the old silicone off with multiple blades, re applying silicone and replacing the glass, wait for it to stick and dry before adding silicone along the inside seam, wait for it to dry any fill. lol it sounds too simple....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You have the right to bear Puffers.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Tank leak repair project

Post by Pufferpunk »

I've repaired many tanks, from a 125 to a 10g hex. It is simple!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
defool89
Fahaka Puffer

Post by defool89 »

thanks for the added confidence. If you were in my situation what would you more likely use for your silicone, DAP aquarium silicone or Aqueon Silicone Aquarium Sealant?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I just buy silicone form the hardware store. Not sure why it says not for aquarium use--all the same stuff.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

Loctite also make some. Just check to see if whichever brand you find has an experation date or birth date...Dig through the rack for the newer tube.

Also if you have some acetone or denatured alcohol, it will help with any needed cleanup. If you are unsure of your "caulking" skills, you can lay down some painter's tape along both sides of your inside corners to peel away excess silicone. I'm a remodeller by trade and I have done this for odd scenerios.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
GSP32
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by GSP32 »

This is from the guy who owns my local forum, he has a ton of DIY videos, this is the resealing one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKactsdPpO8

There are others for rebuilding aquariums, you can just search on his chanel :)
defool89
Fahaka Puffer

Post by defool89 »

off to the hardware store i go then... i would feel much better using a large caulking gun and silicone then the "aquarium safe" bottles that are so small. imma give this a go but it is intimidating because its such a large tank, i just realized i need to remove the bottom frame as well which almost made me say screw it but my motorcycle is immobile and my fish tank is broke, i can barely live with one i cannot go on without both. grrr
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Some silicone preps have toxic-to-fish-and-inverts anti-fungal agents in them. The mass market materials frequently add disclaimers so they don't have to restrict their liability to no-additive manufacturers.If it does not specify non-toxic, I would not buy it.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

Just make sure it doesn't have any mold inhibitors.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.