Stock ideas for 100 gallon freshwater

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
Polkadotpuffer
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: None :( All passed away now...
Location (country): United Kingdom

Stock ideas for 100 gallon freshwater

Post by Polkadotpuffer »

Ok, so i will be making an absolute huge leap from a 30 gallons freshwater to tank to a whooping 100 gallon freshwater next month. Its a huge 'make my fish happy' project lol I was wondering if there is any advice regards to if the filter media from my smaller tank is enough to colonise my bigget tank. This one comes with a fluval fx 5 canister filter tho which I have never has before.

Also I already have a 4 inch blue acara. 3 inch black ghost knife fish, 4 inch spotted dora, 3 inch clown loach and one 2 invh fire mouth (hence my upgrade asap as they will soon grow loads bigger lol) What can I put in with these guys if anything? Was thinking convict cichlids, severum, oscar? Would love to have a fire eel in there (yeah I know they grow big) Any suggestions would be great and help on going from small to huge tank
I <3 My Fishes....... :) Proud owner of:
x1 Black Ghost Knife fish... Klaus, x1 Fire Eeel...Slinky, x2 Convict Cichlid.... Snow & Zane, x1 Blue acara..... Jacob, x1 African flag cichlid.....Joburg, x1 Simaese algae eater.... Dave, x1 Cuckoo Catfish.... Eddy James. (So far hehe) R.I.P Yoshi & Mimi My Irrubesco puffers :( <3
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Stock ideas for 100 gallon freshwater

Post by Pufferpunk »

Clown loaches do best in 3 or more, so I'd get a couple more of those guys.

I have 3x 110 Aquaclears & an Eheim 2217 on my 125g. Just move the entire filter you have now, over to the larger tank & that should support the bioload, if all you move over into that tank are the fish you have. Are you moving the substrate/decor, too?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Polkadotpuffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Polkadotpuffer »

My clown loach is an odd one as i have tried putting some fellow clowns with him in the past the same size as him but he vertially bullied them to death. I think he think my acara is a clown loach as he shadows him round all the time lol I might try again with another loach and see how it goes! Any other ideas if he is still being a pain?

I will move over the filter and some of the sand plus decor then if it will help :)
x1 Black Ghost Knife fish... Klaus, x1 Fire Eeel...Slinky, x2 Convict Cichlid.... Snow & Zane, x1 Blue acara..... Jacob, x1 African flag cichlid.....Joburg, x1 Simaese algae eater.... Dave, x1 Cuckoo Catfish.... Eddy James. (So far hehe) R.I.P Yoshi & Mimi My Irrubesco puffers :( <3
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Can you move ALL the substrate? You can add gravel to the sand if you don't want all sand in there.
I think a fire eel will be fine in that tank but don't expect ANYTHING to stay planted in there!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Trade them all in and get 50 dps!!! :P
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

^ honestly I couldn't agrue with that. LOL. Dps are one of the most hilarious and cute puffers I've ever owned. Though if I had 100g, I might be tempted to get a bigger species =P. Anyways good lucking stocking, get us photos when you have it worked out!!
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
Polkadotpuffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Polkadotpuffer »

Iv had DP's before and they are cute and interesting however, I want fish that are big enough to see from across the room while im watching tv lol Also I have a few fish already that i dont wanna get rid of. I am sure they would nip my bgk Klaus quite a lot! Lol

I loved my fire eel i had a while ago so might try and get one of those eventually :) Thanks for the input, gonna try and take photos of the whole process :)
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Most FW puffers are best without other fish in the tank IME. Most puffers do not play well with other fish. Feeding issues are quite common.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
AquaMike
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: *1 pea puffer (F)
*1 borneensis red-eye DP (M)
*1 palembang puffer
Location (country): CT, USA

Post by AquaMike »

I have been watching this threat and want to know if you made a decision and when this is going down?! Best of luck regardless. Can you also post some pics!

Are any of you nuts like me and write down every good fish/tank idea you come up with. I literally have a binder in my coffee table. My only 2 cents, and I don't have a lot of personal experience with larger fish, would be get an oscar if you want personality, and a king of the tank. I just feel if you want the fire eel there will be too much going on in that tank and it won't reach it potential in growth. If you get a chance, look up Mr. Eel in youtube. The guy has a 30"+ fire eel that is as thick as a brick...very impressive.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Similarly, large Cichlids and eels do not play well w/others either. Most hobbyists do seem to get stuck at the level of so-called "community" tanks, which for me are more properly labeled as stress tanks.

FWIW, YMMV
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Polkadotpuffer
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Polkadotpuffer »

Wow, not updated in a while. I decided on a friendlish South American set up but with clown loach small school. Main stock is 1 firemouth 1 Nicuragua cichlid 1 Blue acra 4 Clown loach and 1 Black ghost knife fish. Will need to post pics very soon... Found the tank is a 125 gallon not 100 lol Yay more room!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I love my 125g with clown loaches, silly catfish & assorted SA cichlids. Oh yeah, can't forget my fahaka!