Which Spiny Eel?

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
Polkadotpuffer
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: None :( All passed away now...
Location (country): United Kingdom

Which Spiny Eel?

Post by Polkadotpuffer »

Hello,

So I am getting rid of my two smallish tanks to upgrade to one big new one :) I am getting a 240 litre 50 gallons, will be freshwater. I wanted a spiny freshwater eel to complete the new tank. I have owned a fire eel before for 3 years but he died of a bacterial infection. I know they get quite large so was thinking of a half banded eel? As they dont grow as big and have loads of personality! Want to get just the one with a blue acra and clown loach :) Anyone out there give me their experience of owning this pecies or suggest another eel? Would be much appreciated! Just cant get enough of the eels haha
I <3 My Fishes....... :) Proud owner of:
x1 Black Ghost Knife fish... Klaus, x1 Fire Eeel...Slinky, x2 Convict Cichlid.... Snow & Zane, x1 Blue acara..... Jacob, x1 African flag cichlid.....Joburg, x1 Simaese algae eater.... Dave, x1 Cuckoo Catfish.... Eddy James. (So far hehe) R.I.P Yoshi & Mimi My Irrubesco puffers :( <3
LRU
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Re: Which Spiny Eel?

Post by LRU »

I tried one of the smaller species recently...macrognathus circumcintus I believe. However mine just died of a bacterial infection after I owned it about a month. I suspect I let nitrates get too high and plan to check tonight. If so I will step up water changes on that tank. The other problem was I didn't catch the infection until it was too late.

While healthy mine loves bloodworms and mysis.