Weird Little Bugs

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
kmiller6
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: One Figure 8 Puffer & one Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): TX, USA

Weird Little Bugs

Post by kmiller6 »

In my Fluval Spec 5 gallon tank, I have a single dwarf puffer. I added two new plants last Saturday, and then I started noticing weird little things on the sides of my tank. They're definitely NOT baby snails; I know what those look like. I called the fish store where I bought the plants from, and they told me I probably have nematodes. So I looked those up, but they're nothing like what I have. The things in my tank have a little body with two antennas and a tail. With some research, I found a youtube video of exactly what they look like. I can't tank my own pictures because they're SO tiny. I think they're called cyclops copepods or something. I don't know anything about them though. If you guys know anything, please let me know! I don't want them to hurt my puffer or plants. Any information would be appreciated!
Here is the video I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2S3tZaev9U
Thanks!
LRU
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Re: Weird Little Bugs

Post by LRU »

If they are what the video shows, they're not a problem. They show up with live plants sometimes. If you had baby fish, they'd probably eat them. I have similar critters (and even smaller ones) in my shrimp tank(s). As long as you keep water clean and don't overfeed, you shouldn't get the worm looking things that attach to the glass and look like little white hairs. I'm drawing a blank on the name at the moment.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Most visible small wildlife in aquaria are harmless. Some, as the maker of the video you referenced points out, are beneficial. Some may be present in excesive numbers, and this can be a symptom of excessive dissolved organic materials in the water. Excess dissolved organic compounds (also know as DOCs) are pollution and can be from excess or improper foods, insufficient water changes and/or substrate cleaning. overcrowding, etc. The solution to excess DOCs is to correct whatever condition caused them. Some small but visible lifeforms are fully normal. Large numbers of these critters is not normal, they are then symptoms which the keeper should correct.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
kmiller6
Puffer Fry

Post by kmiller6 »

Okay, I will keep my regular weekly water changes going then. I feed the little guy bloodworms with a pair of tweezers, so at least there's no excess food being dropped. I'm glad to hear they're not harmful! Thanks!
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

I am not convinced that a diet or frozen/thawed bloodworms alone is adequate for a puffer. The only item I ever use as primary diet for any puffer is live home bred and reared snails.
kmiller6
Puffer Fry

Post by kmiller6 »

Oh yeah, I have a snail tank set up as well. Mostly for my f8, but the DP gets a couple every other day. I've been making sure to take out the empty shells since most of the time he just sucks the meaty part out. I noticed some of the white bugs hovering around the shells, so I've been making sure I see where the shells go! Also the blood worms he gets are soaked in vita chem. Thanks again :)
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

I have had multiple tanks where the substrate is a noticeable percentage crushed snail shells. You may not notice it just looking ate the tank, but when you vacuum the substrate, the shell fines form a layer at the top of the substrate mass while it is up in the Python tube. In tanks wit >10 year old puffers, it gets pretty thick.

DPs do tend ti be "slurpers" rather than "crunchers". Most folks do learn that, and that they have to get the shells out.