distressed inverts

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
eezpeezee
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

distressed inverts

Post by eezpeezee »

Hi, I am a new member and need some help, and feel that others can learn from my blunder. I have one male dwarf puffer that is housed in a planted jungle standard 10 gal. The tank also has 4 amano shrimp and 2 ottos. This tank has been set up for 5 yrs, the current occupants have been in it for 2 yrs . The filters are 2 aquaclear 20
set up with 2 sponge blocks each and biomax on top. Water changes are done twice a week usually 2 or 3 gal. each time. Puffer is fed mainly on pond snails that have been home raised in my snail ranch, ottos are plump due to the algae that I am so talented at growing and the shrimp dine on algae and snail bits... life was good...until the stupid human ( me) finally got the apon (sp) plant bulb replacements in the mail. I was doing the happy shuffle all the way up 3 flights of stairs. Now I can only have one small fish tank and it is stuffed with plants, so after soaking and rinsing the plant bulbs, I crammed 4 of them in ( they sent me 22 bulbs already sprouted to replace 4) Within minutes the shrimp became ultra active, the distressed movements were a clear sign that a toxin had been introduced. I fished out the bulbs proceeded to do a large water change ( I have to lug water from a out side faucet due to the water softener) Replaced the sponges in the filters with activated carbon did another small water change, drove to walmart and got a 7 gal storage tote to put the shrimp in, lugged some more water up 3 flights of stairs. Trying to remove the shrimp from the tank was a disaster, puffer puffed, ottos dashed about and the shrimp eluded capture. So one more small water change, the puffer is watching me and acting normal, the ottos are spawing ( happens a lot but no fry ) and the shrimp are still in the tank, and have not been spotted since the failed attempt of capture. Is this a common issue with aquarium plants/bulbs? Are they treated with something to kill snails? The snails in the tank have not been affected. It is past midnight, I am going to haul some more water upstairs for water change in the AM. Forgot to say that prior to the 1st water change i did test the water and 0 ammonia 0 nitrite, and nitrate is almost undetectable.
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Re: distressed inverts

Post by purplecandle »

I don't know the answer to your question, I am not a plant person. But many years ago I attempted to dabble in plants. I bought some kind of bulb...don't know what it was.

After a day or 2 of the bulb being in there I had a mystery snail die, and I think a fish. I wasn't the best fishkeeper back then, but I wasn't an awful fish keeper. I always blamed that dang bulb for those deaths.
eezpeezee
Puffer Fry

Post by eezpeezee »

The puffer and ottos continue to be fine,two of the shrimp have showed up looking and acting normal and accepted a treat of a worm. Found two shrimp molts, so hopefully the last two show up in a day or two. Did a 3 gal. water change this AM & another 2 gal. this evening, changed and replaced the carbon from last night. Did some research and aquarium plants/bulbs are treated with all sorts of chemicals to kill snails and algae. Rinsing and soaking wont make them invert safe. Some pet store chains sell plants in those tubes, and people have reported fish deaths due to those plants.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

The tank is too small and too crowded with plants and livestock. You cannot just continue forcing more and more into a container, and as I am quite conservative, I always QT (quarantine) new arrivals whether fish, invert, or plants for a minimum of 30 ays. To do otherwise will sooner or later cause upsets and serious issues which can destroy your set-ups. Without QT any addition to your tank may wipe it out. If you are limited to one small tank, perhaps a single Betta with a few rooted stem plants is the best wet pet for you.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
eezpeezee
Puffer Fry

Post by eezpeezee »

Yes, I do agree that the tank is crowded, and should have QT the bulbs. I started this tank with a betta 5 yrs ago, and have the tank is set up with the current livestock for 2 yrs. So in your opinion should I remove the shrimp to reduce the bio load? I stupidly thought that a ultra lush planted tank was a ideal DP set up. I could get away with a 15 gal tall, the foot print would be the same.