Led for live plants, whos got experience good or bad

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Led for live plants, whos got experience good or bad

Post by defool89 »

Ive read that aquarium led lights are better for plants than T5. Not just a normal led but aquarium specific.
You have the right to bear Puffers.
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Re: Led for live plants, whos got experience good or bad

Post by Tim »

If you can get LED lights that cover the right spectrum I am sure you can save a buck and have the plants grow well.

I ordered some LED bulbs with red light. These are grow lights. I doubt it will look nice on a display tank, but these will go over my sump to grow algae.
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
defool89
Fahaka Puffer

Post by defool89 »

:o growing algae in your sump on purpose? im intrigued, please inform me why I gotta know now

Ive read that aquarium specific LED lights are more powerful than normal LED lights, and also provide a perfect and a consistent wave length that plants thrive on but have not read on color. I dont hear much talk about LED lighting here on this forum in reference to plant growth so I was curious if their was a reason.
Tim
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tim »

defool89 wrote::o growing algae in your sump on purpose? im intrigued, please inform me why I gotta know now
This will, once nitrate and phosphate are under control, keep most of the algae out of the display tank.
defool89 wrote:Ive read that aquarium specific LED lights are more powerful than normal LED lights, and also provide a perfect and a consistent wave length that plants thrive on but have not read on color. I dont hear much talk about LED lighting here on this forum in reference to plant growth so I was curious if their was a reason.
The color is the wavelength so to speak. LEDs however cover a very small specific wavelength, so you generally need various ones to cover the right wavelengths. I think the most talked about are Cree and Bridgelux.

I ordered a Pacific Sun Metis Hyperion R2 3x150W 2 weeks ago which has the following:

Code: Select all

8-channel control of color and intensity, 14-channel capable
•    Cree XM-L Cool White LEDs & Cree XM-L Neutral White LEDs
•    Cree XT-E Royal Blue 450nm 4.5W each
•    Cree XT-E Royal Blue 465n, 4.5W each
•    Cree XP-E Green 530nm 3.3W each
•    Cree XP-E Red 630nm 3.3W each
•    Cree XP-E Orange 610nm 3.3W each
•    UV-A 400nm & 420nm 3W each
•    Cree XP-E 475nm up to 3.3W each
defool89
Fahaka Puffer

Post by defool89 »

tomorrow im buying some LED lights for my tank and didnt really notice the colors on em besides blue and white. I will pay more attention tomorrow and ask more questions at the aquarium because they are 240$ dollars (I dont know how much in your currency) and better do more than look pretty.
Tim
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tim »

defool89 wrote:tomorrow im buying some LED lights for my tank and didnt really notice the colors on em besides blue and white. I will pay more attention tomorrow and ask more questions at the aquarium because they are 240$ dollars (I dont know how much in your currency) and better do more than look pretty.
I paid $1900 for mine give or take :yikes:, though it does allow you to set up a complete day cycle including seasons and moonphases. Not sure how useful the latter 2 are :?. Unless we can somehow simulate the tidal and temp changes that go along with it.

It is quite a large unit

The only LED unit I know of that, I think, is for freshwater tanks is the Maxspect r420r A8000.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

LED technogy for planted tank lighting and/or for "normal" appearance if far from a mature technology. Results to date seem pretty disappointing.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

defool89 wrote::o growing algae in your sump on purpose? im intrigued, please inform me why I gotta know now

Ive read that aquarium specific LED lights are more powerful than normal LED lights, and also provide a perfect and a consistent wave length that plants thrive on but have not read on color. I dont hear much talk about LED lighting here on this forum in reference to plant growth so I was curious if their was a reason.
Don't believe the hype! Aquarium specific LED's are the same as other types of LED's. You can now get floodlight fixtures as LED's and I'd definitely not want a floodlight over my tank! Don't buy the wavelength argument neither - plants may respond better and more naturally to specific spectrums but they will adapt and grow even using a 2,700K table lamp!

The benefits to LED technology:

1. Same lumen output at lower wattages than other light sources so reduced running costs (be careful because this sometimes doesn't apply).
2. Length of life (may still work out cheaper to replace T5 tubes over the life of the LED fixture - you will need to do your own calculations).

The problem is that many companies jumped on the LED bandwagon so there are many fixtures out there that will not last the 50,000 hours normally quoted. They either don't have adequate heat sinks or just don't give the output that you might expect.

If buying LED's then go with a reputable company, ask the shop if they can turn one on for you - lie it down with the LED's facing the counter and if the fitting is more than luke warm after 5-10 minutes then don't buy! Check the output ratio (LOR) of the fitting - some have such tight beam angles that they will not cover the base of the tank.

LED's are definitely getting better and there is now an LED fixture for almost every occassion but T5 still holds it's own - for the time being at least...
Tim
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tim »

Iliveinazoo wrote:
Don't believe the hype! Aquarium specific LED's are the same as other types of LED's. You can now get floodlight fixtures as LED's and I'd definitely not want a floodlight over my tank!
I can't say I've seen an LED hype per se. Mind you I don't get out much to LFSs. There is a steady increase of LED lights though.
Iliveinazoo wrote:Don't buy the wavelength argument neither - plants may respond better and more naturally to specific spectrums but they will adapt and grow even using a 2,700K table lamp!
What wavelength argument? The only one going around I know of is that the wavelength is not broad enough :lol:.
Iliveinazoo wrote:The benefits to LED technology:

1. Same lumen output at lower wattages than other light sources so reduced running costs (be careful because this sometimes doesn't apply).
2. Length of life (may still work out cheaper to replace T5 tubes over the life of the LED fixture - you will need to do your own calculations).
T5 will be more expensive, I am however assuming a good quality product where you don't have to solder your own LEDs on to replace broken ones :D. For cheaper LED units the T5 may win out depending on how long the LEDs last before you have to replace the entire unit.
Iliveinazoo wrote:LED's are definitely getting better and there is now an LED fixture for almost every occassion but T5 still holds it's own - for the time being at least...
An LED fixture for every occasion? I've only seen them for reefs so far, with the exception of the Maxspect r420r A8000 and even that one I am not really sure.

I don't think I would bother with LEDs for a planted tank personally. Not sure if I would use T5 either. Maybe some CFL grow lightbulbs with good reflectors. At least, if the plants were the main attraction :lol:.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

I don't know how to multi-quote but I'll tackle each as it comes:
1. What I'm saying is that how can aquarium LED's be more powerful than a "normal" LED. LED's are used to light lots of things - hotel receptions, corridors external car parks etc... you can buy them in a range of power requirements and outputs.
2. Exactly - Read any literature from a lighting manufacturer aiming at planted tank enthusiasts and they will tell you that you "need" a certain percentage of the colour temperature rainbow. I'm just pointing out that you may be suprised what wavelengths your plants can grow under - aquarium plants are generally weeds.
3. You will only know if T5's are more expensive if you compare the data available; i.e. lumen output/LOR/life expectancy of product/initial cost/running cost/replacement cost. As you say yourself there are good LED fixtures and bad LED fixtures, T5 and compact fluorescents have been around a long time and are generally foolproof but again some fittings are better than others.
4. I was trying to point out the progress of LED lamps, as said above they can now be used to illuminate hotels, offices, wharehouses etc. They are becoming a useful light source and are becoming more and more efficient month after month. Only last year you wouldn't have used them to light an office space but it is becoming more feasible.
defool89
Fahaka Puffer

Post by defool89 »

My lfs is an above average fish store I guess. They dont gotta turn em on over a table they have all their lights on demo over reef, cichlid and regular freshwater tanks. The led lights cover the tank entierly, looks great I was simply inquiring on its effects on plants, the looks are awesome as an eye witness.
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Post by Terrance »

algae and planta thrive on light spectrum of royal blue and deep red, 5-6:1 ratio (according to a graph i saw, and people who grows algae). i uncertain about the ratio for planta.

lets talk DIY,
planted tanks, i would put royal blue and deep red on a dimmer since those colors are primary for photosythesis (accordinh to a graph i saw). then add other colors of LED to complete the spectrum. overall, if i had a 4ft long tank, then there would be dominantly neutral, cool, or warm white. then 5-6 reds, then 2 of every other colors. all of the colora would be on a dimmer.

i dont like the lights from chain storea.
Kind regards,
Terrance