oscar fish

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

oscar fish

Post by defool89 »

ANyone here own or have owned any?
You have the right to bear Puffers.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: oscar fish

Post by RTR »

Yes, including breeding them.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Post by defool89 »

Whats your opinion of them? I just got one and would like some opinions on the overall experience of dealing with an Oscar personality, interaction recognition of owner etc... thanks
You have the right to bear Puffers.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Many to most Cichlids seem to be intelligent fish, and the Oscars are IME just about the brightest of the lot. If kept as a singleton, they are fully as interactive with their caregiver as are GSPs. They definitely recognize their keepers.

Like puffers, they are messy eaters and also will gorge themselves (most fish will) and get fat and unhealthy. Feed well, but don't let them become obese. They are messy and do best (no surprise) with high water quality - again as with puffers.

Some live food is good, but feeder fish are definitely not. That is a good way to introduce parasites and (believe it or not) vitamin deficiencies. Earthworms and well-nourished crickets are good treats.

Don't try for a planted tank - they are substrate diggers. Rock-work must be very secure - they are strong fish.

They will play with Ping-pong balls with you. It is like playing with a human child in a crib or playpen - they toss out their toys and you get to retrieve them. :) Do not do this other than on waterproof flooring!

The bigger the tank, the better. A 75 USG will do, 120/150/180 better.

Do you get the idea that these are among my favorite fish? :)
Where's the fish? - Neptune