adding additional tank as "sump"

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

adding additional tank as "sump"

Post by Tim »

So, currently a local pet store has a sale on on 10-15g aquariums and I thought to myself perhaps I should pick it up and add it to my 30g tank via an overflow box. Extra water volume is always good as far as I know especially with messy puffers.

I figured I would take the tank and put it behind my current aquarium as there is just enough space which will result in less tubing for the overflow box.

For some reason regardless of how much I feed there is always some algae growing somewhere and whilst I don't mind cleaning it up I prefer not to stick my hand in the water too often. If I were to, say, leave the algae be in the smaller tank would that eliminate some of the algae growth in the main tank? I know there are some algae that thrive on too much light but they surely need other sustenance too for a more expedient growth.

As an fyi there is a big chance that i'll go low brackish soon for an F8. I think I am finally ready for another puffer after the loss of Pig :( . So maybe this is the wrong forum? :lol:
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: adding additional tank as "sump"

Post by RTR »

Nutrients +light = plant &/or algae growth.

Therefore algae growth is the direct result of nutrients and light - both are needed.

A refugium/plant or algae growth tank will reduce the occurrence or growth rate of algae in the display tank by extracting minerals and other nutrients from the water. I frequently used a reversed light cycle for such refugia. Reversed light cycles can be an issue in some locations due to light spillage (in areas such as bedrooms especially).
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Tim
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tim »

The reverse light cycle sounds nice, assuming that means that when the main tank lights are off the lights in the refugium are on and visa versa.

I guess I'll be going back to the LFS tomorrow to pick up a 15g for half price.

RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Warning! Multi-tank systems are addictive.

Best results for me tend to be really mufti-tanked. The long-ago T.mbu system used a high-volume display amd two sets of reverse-light-cycle planted refugia. Peak light was 8 hours max in the display, plus a lower-light hour at each end of any tank's "on" cycle. The earlier refugia overlapped an hour w/the display and then with the second set of lighted refugia which overlapped the "dawn" light hour in the display. Eventually I added a 3rd set of lighted refugia timed the same as the display. Massive water volume system, and it needed to be bigger. But all the planted refugia tanks kept me in sufficient ramshorn and common pond snails to feed all the F-8s during the decade-plus F-8 studies and a display tank of SAPs as well.
Tim
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tim »

RTR wrote:Warning! Multi-tank systems are addictive.

Best results for me tend to be really mufti-tanked. The long-ago T.mbu system used a high-volume display amd two sets of reverse-light-cycle planted refugia. Peak light was 8 hours max in the display, plus a lower-light hour at each end of any tank's "on" cycle. The earlier refugia overlapped an hour w/the display and then with the second set of lighted refugia which overlapped the "dawn" light hour in the display. Eventually I added a 3rd set of lighted refugia timed the same as the display. Massive water volume system, and it needed to be bigger. But all the planted refugia tanks kept me in sufficient ramshorn and common pond snails to feed all the F-8s during the decade-plus F-8 studies and a display tank of SAPs as well.
On my way home with this smaller tank I was already wondering that when I have the space for a much larget aquarium that I could use both my 30gallon and this as refugia though tbh this new tank is perfect as a bookcase aquarium due to dimensions :love:. So I think it will be a dwarf puffer tank some day. For now it will serveto hold additional water volume and to make water refilling easier. It's not the 10 or 15 gallons I would have liked but 7 gallons is nice too.

http://i49.tinypic.com/6nr2qe.jpg
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Tanks are addictive! They should carry warning labels.
Tim
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tim »

RTR wrote:Tanks are addictive! They should carry warning labels.
This is quite true, if I had the space there would be 10 by now :lol:.

Luckily my wife mostly just rolls her eyes when I home with more aquarium decorations/plants :D.
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Post by scpion »

+1 to Tim. I have 6 running tanks now. My wife is so used to it she doesn't ask me anymore when I add a new tank..
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!