My Kuhli Love Affair

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 C. travancoricus (dwarf puffer)
7 Pangio kuhlii
5 Otocinclus vittatus (w/ fry)
Location (country): USA

My Kuhli Love Affair

Post by kcartwright856 »

I have a confession to make.

I am hopelessly in love with kuhli loaches.

No, seriously. I am glued to my tank at all hours of the day and night. I can't stop taking pictures and videos of their cuteness.

Help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03A9knJAtQU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnZyNafBfwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFB1ui-glp0

Even my cat loves them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c05mAhzkeFM
-KC

My DP tank journal: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29746
GSPicthus
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): NY

Re: My Kuhli Love Affair

Post by GSPicthus »

I have to agree. I had one for the longest time set up in my 10 gallon community tank when I was a kid. I haven't had one for a very long time.
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

They're just so much fun!
-KC

RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I confess that I have the same problem. I have this strange compulsion to try breeding them. The issue is that my wife does not like them... too much like a tank of worms for her.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

RTR wrote:I confess that I have the same problem. I have this strange compulsion to try breeding them. The issue is that my wife does not like them... too much like a tank of worms for her.
See, I didn't like them at first either! But, man... have I ever been bit by the love bug. Has your wife ever sat in front of the tank and watched them for a while, especially when they dance, or drape themselves over plants? So CUTE!

I certainly wouldn't mind if mine bred, but I don't think I'll be trying for it at the moment. My otocinclus have just been going to town, though.
-KC

hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

i have to agree! i love watching my eel loaches(pangio anguillaris) when they sense the worms in the tank! when i can afford a bigger tank (like 55 or so), i want to get a group of kuhlis to go with them. id love to get more, but i dont know where to find them! the store i got them from went out of business about 3 years ago. wish i had gotten more than 3.
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
GSPicthus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by GSPicthus »

RTR wrote:I confess that I have the same problem. I have this strange compulsion to try breeding them. The issue is that my wife does not like them... too much like a tank of worms for her.
My wife says the same! Glad I am not alone. She doesn't like anything that slithers.
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

GSPicthus wrote:
My wife says the same! Glad I am not alone. She doesn't like anything that slithers.
Yup - mine also. We did have a pre-nup. agreement - that if we had kids, they would not keep snakes. Kuhlis are not snakes, but they give her the shudders. The first fish I ever "gave" her was an albino Clarius catfish (way back when they were legal in the States), and she had issues with that until it matured. Then she agreed that it was the most graceful fish we owned and actually liked watching it (she does not like albinos either). But a pile of kuhlis is too like a can of worms to her.
GSPicthus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by GSPicthus »

RTR wrote:
GSPicthus wrote:
Yup - mine also. We did have a pre-nup. agreement - that if we had kids, they would not keep snakes. Kuhlis are not snakes, but they give her the shudders. The first fish I ever "gave" her was an albino Clarius catfish (way back when they were legal in the States), and she had issues with that until it matured. Then she agreed that it was the most graceful fish we owned and actually liked watching it (she does not like albinos either). But a pile of kuhlis is too like a can of worms to her.
When my wife and I were dating I had a 4' Tesselata Eel. I had to sell it when we got married because we moved into a place that was too small for my Tank. She didn't tell me how much it creeped her out until after we bought our house and I tried to get another. Now I know not to get anything resembling a snake.

I do love the Kuhli loaches though. My daughter wants a tank and I am starting her with a 20 gallon community maybe I can try and get her a Kuhli reasoning with my wife that we don't want to pass on our irrational fears to our kids.
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

How big do Kuhli loaches get?
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

These are one type of fish I am banned from getting which is sad. Saying that I was also not allowed clown loaches which my wife now totally adores, was not allowed an eel, she spends ages looking for him then just watches and tells me what he's doing lol. I may have to buy some
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

I love kuhli loaches. One day I will have a tank full of them.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Me too. Might just go buy some, will be fine lol
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

GSPicthus wrote: I do love the Kuhli loaches though. My daughter wants a tank and I am starting her with a 20 gallon community maybe I can try and get her a Kuhli reasoning with my wife that we don't want to pass on our irrational fears to our kids.
Don't get only one. Get at least 6, honestly. They prefer groups and their personalities really shine when they have friends. Also, chances are high that you'll never see it if you get only one.
Arny wrote:How big do Kuhli loaches get?
~4 inches, but very thin.
bertie 83 wrote:These are one type of fish I am banned from getting which is sad. Saying that I was also not allowed clown loaches which my wife now totally adores, was not allowed an eel, she spends ages looking for him then just watches and tells me what he's doing lol. I may have to buy some
Just go get a bunch and don't tell her. Before she can yell at you, her heart will be captured! They have SO much personality!
Flutter wrote:I love kuhli loaches. One day I will have a tank full of them.
I want to have a tank designed JUST for kuhlis someday!
-KC

RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

This is one case where I just might set a mixed tank. One of the possibilities for the reset of the tank room is a water-modified tank (everything else is just aged tap currently) with soft acid water to breed Emperor Tetras. I just might set is a possible breeder for the Emperors and kuhlis - they are from opposite sides of the world, but similar water conditions and similarly tolerant of offspring...

It is so tempting...