why are my mollies acting like morons?

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
ehz_148
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 30gal : 1 f8 puffer - Tsuki
Location (country): Durban, South Africa

why are my mollies acting like morons?

Post by ehz_148 »

Hey...

did a water test today: ph 7.5; amm&nitrite 0, nitrate below 20. temp 27 (celcius)... (110L tank long with 1 goby and 1 f8 & was 4 mollies now 3 and possibly be 2)

This is my story:

I had 4 mollies (they are the small balloon type mollies - not sailfins) and I came home from work last week to find one of the females stuck between the filter and glass on one of the vents. She was dead :(
2 days ago I found the other female in the same position, except she was still alive. I saved her, and she swam away, but she's just a little bit more wobbly now. Then yesterday I found one of the males in the same place! Why are they always squeezing behind the filter against the glass and getting stuck on the part where water is sucked in!? It's pretty much right up against the glass. Enough space for the suction cups that stick it on, so a cm or less... :?

Since I saved the male and female, they have both been swimming weirdly. Kinda like a zombie if a molly could be a zombie. The male kept squishing into the tightest spots (like almost right under the rocks and breathing very heavily) So I removed the male and put him in my small snail tank (for the night) where he looked like he had a bubble in his tail and was being lifted up vertically and then fighting to get back. He would rest on the substrate and was still breathing very heavily. In the morning, he was fine! Swimming around properly (maybe a little wobbly now) but he's swimming! The female is also swimming around wobbly like, and isn't going near the filter now, but what can I put there to stop them from squeezing in there? Stockings? I don't want to block the vents. But I don't want to keep rescuing silly fish that are acting weird.

The heater is nowhere near the filter. So I'm not sure why they keep going there.
This is the filter I got from my bro-in-law with the tank: (Astro 1000F, Liquid Filter, AC220V-240V, 50Hz, 13W)

Not sure if the female or male..or both will survive. How can I stop the mollies from going to the place of doom!
Image "can I share your cave?"
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Re: why are my mollies acting like morons?

Post by sevenyearnight »

They're probably trying to hide from the puffer.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

+1
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
ehz_148
Dwarf Puffer

Post by ehz_148 »

u really think so? They never had a problem with her for a couple of weeks, and she's never shown an interest in any of them. The other Molly doesn't worry about her at all. In fact he gives her kisses all the time.

Well, anyway, is there something I can use to block the gap behind the filter to stop them from going there? I have plenty of hiding places for them if they really are trying to get away from her.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Kisses?

If you don't have enough females per male, the male(s) will harass the females into hiding or even to the point of weakness/death.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

They are getting to them at night. Mine always just wound up missing...
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Post by sevenyearnight »

I think you would know best how to redo the tank to prevent that, since it's in your possession.
ehz_148
Dwarf Puffer

Post by ehz_148 »

Yea, the one male swims up to everything, living or not and smooches them....hence the name Smooch.
Tsuki (the f8) just darts away from him, she doesn't even retaliate.

I had 2 males and 2 females, but the one female was the first to die the filter-death :(

and with regards to redoing the tank...I am not sure what I can do to block the gap between filter and glass without blocking filtration flow... that's why i came here. I was hoping someone had a suggestion like plastic coated wire, or stockings or something that the water can still flow through but block the space.
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

Normally a healthy and comfortable fish won't get caught in such places. It would be best to solve the the problem instead of Bandaid it.

Do you buy chance have a dog or cat that may be harassing the fish...Or some other activity or noise around the outside tank?
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I was hoping someone had a suggestion like plastic coated wire, or stockings or something that the water can still flow through but block the space.
Prefilter sponge cut to fit.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Or stocking.

bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

+1. they are scared poopless and trying to hide
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

You need 2-3 females for every male. Mollies are like rabbits when it comes to breeding. You're going to do best with no males. The babies they have will just get eaten by your puffer and cause it to be fat. They probably will stop dying filter deaths if they don't feel like they have to hide from the guy. I had seven female mollies, and one male and the girls were constantly stressed, until I got rid of him.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
ehz_148
Dwarf Puffer

Post by ehz_148 »

Ok, thanks guys.

I have 2 dogs, but they are outdoor dogs ONLY, and the tank is in my bedroom, and since my boyfriend and I work all the time, nothing and no-one goes in there. The second male died last night, and the female is looking really wobbly. I saved her again from the filter for the fourth time and I don't think she's going to make it :( It's a bit sad :(

I don't think I want to get more females a) I have been told my tank is not big enough and b) I really get sad finding dead fish.

Are mollies happy enough if it's just one male?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

With the puffers, don't expect him to last long.