Tetra Safestart Test

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Tetra Safestart Test

Post by RTR »

The product Cycle has been tested numerous times by numerous hobbyists. Some folks do report positive results, but so do they after using other quack nostrums. Cycle is worthless. I base that opinion on real experiments which included tests for viable bacteria and/or dormant forms. Even the freshest bottles lacked any viable bacteria capable of establishing in FW tanks and which could support nitrification. Q.E.D. Accept or reject that as you wish, but the product is not FW bacteria capable of supporting nitrification in FW tanks.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Any product that claims you need to keep adding it, isn't "establishing" anything.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Post by sevenyearnight »

6 weeks:

pH 7.6
KH 4°
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 10.0

Changes: I had raised the temp to 82-83° F, added Frogbit.

The parameters held for 6 weeks, so I'm considering this experiment complete. The product, Tetra Safestart, did what it claimed.

I'll update again when I transfer the new filter over.
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Post by sevenyearnight »

I thought I would post an update. The filter has been switched over for some time now, with the media placed into the new filter. The Eheim is of course an awesome filter as a side note. The tank is still stable. I moved some of the ceramic noodles to my future Ram tank, and it cycled it pretty much instantly. I then later had to do a major rescape on my 75 gallon, and needed to upgrade the filter, added new fish, and had a some ammonia readings, so I took the media from the future Ram tank, put it in the 75 gallon's filter, and it took a day and a half, but it re-cycled it as well.