Help! J-P's Set up

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Help! J-P's Set up

Post by Pufferpunk »

Where were you? Couldn't she call? Didn't you leave exact feeding instructions?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

I was working in the garage.. no I didn't leave feeding instructions and she fed them that much because all the fish really go to town on the shrimp. Her beleif is more food = bigger happier fish. BUT in her defence..... she is used to keeping fish out doors. Her entire family does. Thier fish tanks are located outside the house. And they only keep VERY harty fish.

I assume that once the new tank is in place she'll have to re-learn everything she knows about aquarium care.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Well, more food = bigger me, but that's not a good reason for my mom to feed me more than usual!
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:Well, more food = bigger me, but that's not a good reason for my mom to feed me more than usual!
Depends on the culture....

J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

Update: My 1 AWOL GSP has come back... still alive after a water treatment and is sticking next to the loach... I just hope he/she survives the next couple days

This entire experience was totally draining ... and have a massive headache now.... :scared:

At the moment I am doing more research on a different kind of puffer. HOPEFULLY, I'll have the tank in place this weekend and I can start cycling it before I start to populate it.

I'm leaning towards a porcupine puffer but I did find a picture on another website that Puffer Punk is a member of...I don't know what kind of puffer it is but it is beautiful.

Thanks to those who replied to the rant... Just writing about it made me feel better and helped avoid confrontation. :grouphug:
Ostracion_whitleyi_MARQM2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Blue boxfish (male).
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

Having a personal problem today. My sister and her husband came by this weekend and took a look at the tank. The brother in law wants me to cut the top section off and just retain the bottom half. Reasons being that it will be more manageable, and I could build a false wall that could recess the tank, the lights and all the cables. It would make it nice and neat looking. I agree, only having 1/2 the volume to deal with will allow for allow for more options. BUT keeping the tank as is will allow me segregate the fish and allow me to have more variety.

Also, I don't think I'm going to be able to keep a 500 gal marine tank with our budget right now. So I'm moving towards a fresh water for the 500 gal and salt water for the 30 gal. Thus, maybe this topic should be moved to the FW section.
Here are the dimensions of the tank (from the largest on the top half):
1) 76.5 gal (L35" x W23.5" x D21.5")
2) 67.7 gal (L35" x W23.5" x D19")
3) 55.2 gal (L35" x W23.5" x D15.5")
4) 53.4 gal (L35" x W23.5" x D15")
The bottom half has 2 sections:
5) 35 gal (L20" x W23.5" x D17")
6) 206 gal (L119" x W23.5" x D17")
I am attaching pictures so you can take a look.
I am thinking of trying to keep the 2 sections together because they are piped together. If it becomes too much I can always cut the top section off later. What do you think??

Later, I will post some pics of parts of the tank that I don't know what their function is...

Thanks
J-P
Last edited by J-P on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

groovitudedude wrote:A 6" loach? Clown I'm assuming?
Nope not a clown ... its almost 8" now. Its a green thing. The LFS sold us a "loach" which I am familiar with, but my wife knows it by its native name and she call it a "do-jo" (japanese). Very common river fish of the loach family.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

They do predict rainstorms too!

J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

Rain storms??!!?? WHAT WHAT WHAT???

I thought only my grandfather's big toe could do that!

J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

Ok I am uploading a few pics of the tank... which sadly to say still hasn't been moved yet.... I'm trying to get a contractor to knock out a wall so I can fit it through the doorway but I couldn't get anyone in the month of November. They were all busy rushing stuff before the snow settled in here, so it looks like Dec before I get the monster in.

Anyway, this qiestion may be be for Dadof4 or anyone who has technical knowledge of how "cascading" tanks work in general. There are features to this tank that I don't know their function.. I am used to an underwater filter or a hang on filter but this this just boggles the mind.
Last edited by J-P on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!

Post by Dadof4 »

I'm at a loss. I have a few feelers out to people who may have had experience with these. Hang on before you cut it apart but from what I'm seeing that may not be a bad idea and run the top half underneath as a sump/wet/dry filter.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

Dadof4 wrote:Hang on before you cut it apart but from what I'm seeing that may not be a bad idea and run the top half underneath as a sump/wet/dry filter.
Well the idea was to keep the 250 gal bottom half as the single tank and just ditch the top half; that is if it becomes unmanageable. As you can see the top half cascades so that makes hang on filters a problem, lighting a problem...

Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!

Post by Dadof4 »

When I've seen tanks like this they have all been marine with the top half being used as a tidal pool like system for biologic filtration.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

Dadof4,
That's what I thought too, especially after seeing all the leftover sand in it. So... I took a look at the tags on the tank just now... I think it was a fresh water tank. Here's the list of the fish:
Common Plecostomus, Synodontis Catfish, Aulnocara Species Gold, Synodontis Eupterus Cats, Aulonocara Species Orange Blotch (I found one of those on my bread one morning), Copadichormis Azureus, Male Peacocks, Distichodus Lussoso "long nose", Haplchromis Species 44 (saw them on Star Trek), and Metricalima Zebra.

I am not familiar with most of these but the ones I know are FW fish.