Help! J-P's Set up

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Re: Help! J-P's Set up

Post by Dadof4 »

Well, you can do this with a FW set up too with some modification. If you were to keep your puffers on the bottom and run like an DSB with a kind of river biotope set up on the top it could be interesting.....
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

Ok... I did a little research and the compartment on the right side of the 2nd picture / the entire 3rd picture looks like the sump / refrigerum. It makes some sence now.. the water flows down into that component, gets sumped, flows through the refrigerum (I don't know how to spell this word), over the wall and down the other side forcing the water flow to enter the next compartment through the bottom of the tank as opposed to the top.

I also read that there is a single pump / multiple tank system but I am a little confused on that subject.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

Dadof4, here are the additional pics that you requested. I beleive it is in fact a hydroponic system. It would explain why there is so much sand in a FW tank for fish that don't burrow... BTW.. each segment of the top half is totally contained except for the over flow into the next tank. The filter system would HAVE to be hydroponic to not have some type of filter in each segment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by J-P on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I would send an email to Melev:
http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

ok... thank you.. it is done and awaiting reply.

I am not sure if FW tanks are his thing though....

Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Post by Dadof4 »

Pufferpunk wrote:I would send an email to Melev:
http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html
Yeah, what she said. I'm at a loss for how this would work....
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
J-P
Former Staff Member

A sigh of releif

Post by J-P »

I finally got in contact with Jeff the owner of an LFS and the person who sold me the tank. Here is an outline of our conversation:

J-P
Hello Jeff,
We're just about ready to set up the tank here and it's looking good. I was wondering what type of filtration set up you were using.
Thanks
J-P

Jeff:
Hi J-P,
When I had the tank running we used the sump/overflow set-up as the filtration system, loading in carbon bags, ammo bags and lots of ceramic rings. We had the carbon bags and ammo bags (you really could get away with just carbon or a mix system most likely) in the overflow (up top) which forced water through them. Depending on how full you make the bottom will impact whether you should place rings (which work best fully submerged) or bio balls, which excel with water flowing over them in an unsubmerged state. Because I used top and bottom as tanks, I used rings (in media bags to keep it clean.) I had lots and lots (now running other systems) which I kept in the sump portion of the bottom tank. My friend had been trying to convince me to put a grate on the bottom of the downspout and just fill it with the rings as a visually better system, but I'm sure you can figure it out. Using a system like that will work fine, depending on the bio load that you give it.

J-P:
Hello Jeff,
It also looks like it was fairly heavily planted along the bottom. Hyproponic filteration? I was thinking of doing that.
All the best,
J-P

Jeff:
That is exactly what was on the bottom and for exactly that purpose.
Best of luck with it!

Now all I have to do is learn about hydroponic filteration and lighting ;) but, I'm a happy guppy now.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Was that a hydroponic kitty I saw above?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

Pufferpunk wrote:Was that a hydroponic kitty I saw above?
I think so... dumb guy likes to poke his head in the shower while I'm in it and sits on the rim of the bath tub while I'm in it also (sometimes he falls in and I get my legs torn up).

P.S.
PP sent me an excellent link on Hydroponic set-ups. http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article69.html

Definately worth the read, even if your tank is smaller than the one I am introducing. My only comment on the refrigerum is that I would keep it above the display tank if possible. Here, we have frequent power outages, some times for days at a time and having your refrigerium overflowing will not be a pleasant experience. It wouldn't be too difficult to get a cheap cabinet or wardrobe to house your pumps, food, medical suplies and refrigerium (dont forget to get some lights and a simple timer) all housed and hidden.

Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

Haha. Silly cat.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

ok.. here's the game plan:
Thurs Dec 10th the new carpet in the basement gets laid and I am hoping the contractor can knock out the wall on the same day. We move the tank in and I start cleaning and doing the leak test.

If all goes well, I can begin to cycle the tank. I am thinking of having a planted cycle and dropping the songe media from my existing tank every second day (I have 2 filters on the existing one, so I'll alternate filters on every other day). As for the amonia source .. wife has a truck load of frozen shrimp in the freezer I can use without her seeing. ;)

For how long do I leave the shrimp in the tank? Should I change it every week or just until the tank is finished cycling? I have a feeling this is going to take longer than a few weeks to do.

aslo... is it safe to put the cleaning critters in while the tank is cycling?

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Any animal can suffer from ammonia/nitrite poisoning.

J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

Pufferpunk wrote:Any animal can suffer from ammonia/nitrite poisoning.

thank you!! I just didn't know if the cleaning critters, who have a different diet, were subject to the same rules... I'll hold of on them...

J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

Also .. I was wondering if any one has kept a FW puffer with a FW stingray? Will the puffers harass the ray or will the ray eat the puffers??

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Depends on the puffer.