List of freshwater fishes to avoid for beginners

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
RedPeasant
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: One Monotrete Suvattii (Arrowhead) (RIP)
One Tetraodon lineatus (Fahaka)
Two Tetraodon nigroviridis (GSP)
Two Tetraodon biocellatus (F8)

List of freshwater fishes to avoid for beginners

Post by RedPeasant »

Read this from another forum and think its helpful for newbies starting out the fish keeping hobby.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everyone. I've decided to help out the community of ebay a little bit. Here is a list of fish that most aspiring fish keepers make when starting out. I would not buy these fish when starting out unless you have experience and the proper equipment.

1) The Pacu- This thing can get huge i mean huge. You need at least a 2000g tank to house this. They get up to 30 inches.

2) Iridescent Shark- These things get huge too! Just look them up on google and see what you find. They can get up to 4 ft.

3) The Red Tail Catfish- Another Monster catfish. They can get up to 4 feet in length. There is a two other kinds of them out there, Red Tail Catfish mated with a Shovel nose catfish which get larger and the Asian Red tail cat which get big to.

4) The Common pleco- This is one of the most misunderstood fish. These fish get very large and put off high bioload. Some have also been reported to suck of the slime of your fish. They can get up to 1-2 feet and should be kept in aquariums larger then 100 gallons.

5) Arowana- There are many different types of Arows. such as silvers, jardines, black, super reds and so on. The most common is the silver and they get big. They Get somewhere around 3-4 feet and a tank 2 times there size and need to be able to turn around.

6) Hi Fin Banded Loach- Some of you might not see this kind of fish at some might see it a lot. They get pretty large buts thats not the problem. They like cold water and don't do the best in tropical water. They also get aroudn 1-2 feet and like to shoal of at least 6 to keep them happy.

7) Bala Shark- These are really common too! They are a cool looking fish and may be sold under the name silver shark. They get big too! They get around a foot long and need to school. They need 350 and at least 6 to school with to be happy.

8 ) Tinfoil Barb- They have around the same standards as the Bala Shark.

9) Black tip Sharks catfish- They are sold as brackish and get 12 inches and need full marine tank when full grown. They also like to school.

10) A.gigas- The biggest freshwater fish in the aquarium trade. Enough said.

11) Any type of Sturgeon- They get huge almost as big as the fish above. They also need cold water and fast current.

These are some fish that need a bigger home then most of the beg. or even me can provide. I would do proper research before anyone should by these fish or any fish at that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Of course for puffers it will be the MBU and the fahaka
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Re: List of freshwater fishes to avoid for beginners

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Good list! I think we should all add to it.

12) Goldfish. Huge, and very prone to parasites.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!

Post by Dadof4 »

To add to that list there are a few others I have seen entering the trade, first time I saw them for sale I nearly choked.......

13.) Tarpon: I've been seeing these on Aquabid and a few other sites. Beautiful fish, if I had an ocean to keep one in I may consider it. They get HUGE! They can get to a max length of 7 feet and do require brackish as young and full marine as adults. I've seen them advertised as FW fish.

14.) Banded Leporinus (Leporinus fasciatus): Once again, beautiful and interesting fish but they get big, around 12-16 inches. They are loners and get territorial as adults and will kill other tankmates for no particular reason. Most pet shops get them as babies (look at the stripe count if you do buy one to get an idea of age) and sell them as schooling fish.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

15) Elephant noses.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

coldmachineUK
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 2x T. biocellatus
1x C. asellus

Post by coldmachineUK »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:15) Elephant noses.
Why elephant noses?
Did our staff successfully help you? The Puffer Forum is an incredible resource and is run completely on the donations of its viewers. Proceeds from the Puffer Forum store go towards future contests and keeping the site running. We also welcome donations!

36G: FW Planted | 53G: Brackish (F8 Puffers) | 58G: Freshwater Community (Unusual/Rare Loaches)
Interesting stock: S. mahnerti, S. vinciguerrae, S. sp. "crimson", V. maassi, N. masyai, M. guentheri, T. biocellatus, C. asellus.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Most people I know who've kept them, even advanced hobbyists, have trouble keeping them alive. Water quality and such... I don't know the ins and outs, just that most people have a lot of trouble with them.

I AM A DUDETTE!

coldmachineUK
Former Staff Member
1x C. asellus

Post by coldmachineUK »

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I do know they are finicky eaters. I guess the explanation would be "Requirements are difficult to provide in captivity inc. sensitivity to water params and difficulties with feeding" or something.
Did our staff successfully help you? The Puffer Forum is an incredible resource and is run completely on the donations of its viewers. Proceeds from the Puffer Forum store go towards future contests and keeping the site running. We also welcome donations!

36G: FW Planted | 53G: Brackish (F8 Puffers) | 58G: Freshwater Community (Unusual/Rare Loaches)
Interesting stock: S. mahnerti, S. vinciguerrae, S. sp. "crimson", V. maassi, N. masyai, M. guentheri, T. biocellatus, C. asellus.
coldmachineUK
Former Staff Member
1x C. asellus

Post by coldmachineUK »

16) River/hillstream loaches: highly sensitive to water params, require cooler water temperatures and fast-flowing current which can be difficult to provide, and feeding requirements can be complex.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have 2 20 year old elephantnoses who were kept in a 30g for 17 year of their life. Not sure about water changes but I bet not nearly as often as we all do them.

Now I see why my Hifin "sharks" never lived for very long... :(
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
groovitudedude
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1X Dwarf Puffer, 1X Auriglobus Silus

Post by groovitudedude »

haha I've had common plecos, bala sharks, tinfoil barbs, a fahaka, and a leporinus

also add most puffers, not for noobs.
Last edited by groovitudedude on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire Eel!
Tiny Fish Forum
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

And which ones have you actually kept long term?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

groovitudedude
Fahaka Puffer

Post by groovitudedude »

Pufferpunk wrote:And which ones have you actually kept long term?
What do you mean by "long term"? You've been keeping fish longer than I've been alive, so I think "long term" is a matter of opinion here. I've had my fahaka over a year now, he's grown from 4'' to almost 11'', does that count? My Leporinus grew from 3'' to 11'' in about two years.
Fire Eel!
Tiny Fish Forum
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Until they died from old age.

groovitudedude
Fahaka Puffer

Post by groovitudedude »

Pufferpunk wrote:Until they died from old age.
Which one of those fish I mentioned have a life span less than how long I've been keeping fish?
Fire Eel!
Tiny Fish Forum
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm just giving you a hard time... It's so much fun! :P