Any reef safe puffers?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Von Till
Puffer Fry

Any reef safe puffers?

Post by Von Till »

I have herd Valintini were, is this true? Are thier others
bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Re: Any reef safe puffers?

Post by bonnie3188 »

I wouldn't say that Valentini's are reef safe. I would say start them in a FOWLR and observe their temperaments, as they will all be different. I was lucky with mine, he is very docile and only very varely nips some SPS corals. I recently tried another one in my reef tank and she was NOT reef safe at all, so I had to return her to the LFS. Its the luck of the draw!

As for other reef safe marine puffers, Im pretty sure that Valentini's are known to be the most likely to be reef safe. They are also the most non aggressive, so they get along with other docile fish that generally occupy a reef tank. This being said, it depends on what corals you have. If your tank is mainly soft corals, then I couldnt see a Valentini eating anything, and my Papuan puffer (Canthigaster Papuan) doesnt touch any soft corals either. I have heard that other Canthigasters will eat hermit crabs, snails, shrimps etc, but mine don't. Every fish is different, and puffers all have different personalities.

Have you already got a tank setup?

Hope this helps!
-Bonnie
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You can always start with cheaper, bad-tasting corals like: xenia, mushrooms & leathers & see how it does.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Von Till
Puffer Fry

Post by Von Till »

Already got a full setup. I got Zoos, Brains, shrooms, and clams. I just really like puffers and was seeing if one would in my tank.
bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bonnie3188 »

Although Ive never tried it, I think that any puffer would destroy a clam. They have a similar texture to the foods that they love eating- eg mussles. Also, they would probably pick at brain corals, as mine do occaisonally.
-Bonnie
jefferzbooboo
Dwarf Puffer

Post by jefferzbooboo »

I honestly think my PInk Spotted would be okay with a clam. He refuses to eat anything besides frozen fish store food and I've tried the "thats the only thing your gonna get" philosophy but after a week I got kinda worried, but he's always picking at my live rock ruble, not the full sizes tho, it keeps his teeth worn down. Never heard of a non reef same Pink Spotted. My problem with him not eating other things I think came from the LFS i got him from they didn't feed him anything except frozen for 4 months.