Valentini Gender ID?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Shayla
Puffer Fry

Valentini Gender ID?

Post by Shayla »

Subject asks it all, I guess... I've just posted some pictures of my little one, and I've no clue how to figure if she's a she or if she's a he. One of the pictures I've stumbled across somewhere showed a Valentini with a dark line on the stomach; I've read that other breeds have similar markings on males -- is there a line on the Valentini's stomach? And, if so, would it show up on a juvenile or would one need to wait until they mature to figure it out?
Thanks!
Christene
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

Belly lines aren't a fully reliable method even with DPs, the fish most known for it, as it really only connotates dominance. This makes it much more likely to be a male, but not for sure one.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
bonnie3188
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by bonnie3188 »

Oh she/he is cute! From my experience and readings, males get more pronounced neon lines coming out from their eyes, whilst females dont have them. Also, males have a dark spot around their anus.

This is the only pic I have of my male where you can sort of see his lines, Ill try to take some clearer pics for you. When you look at him in person they are really noticeable.

Circled are the neon lines and the anal area that is meant to be darker than a females.

But as you suggested, it takes awhile for the markings to become noticeable. Yours still looks quite young, so Id estimate a couple of months before you'll be able to have a better guess.

BTW, I love the 2nd pic- she/he looks so insecure its cute!

Hope this helps,
Bonnie
-Bonnie
Shayla
Puffer Fry

Post by Shayla »

Thanks -- I'll watch for markings as she gets older then, and she can be a "she" until she decides otherwise.

And yes, she does have a "look" about her -- hard to describe, but Bertie really manages the baby look quite well every so often. She's the coolest fish in the tank, quite laid back so far, minds her own business and does her own thing, nothing seems to phase her. But every so often she'll look directly at me and there's nothing else to say but "Awwww.......!" Can you tell I'm totally smitten?
Faeth
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Valentini Puffer - "P. Diddy" - Three months and counting

Post by Faeth »

OMG.

I <3 those pictures! So clear!

My Valentini is my "baby." He is by far my favorite in the tank (but don't tell my Midas Blenny that!) :D
This is not a "hobby." It is a life-style.