Porcupine puffers and moving...?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Etain
Puffer Fry

Porcupine puffers and moving...?

Post by Etain »

Hi! I'm new here, and I have a sort-of strange question. I've wanted a porcupine puffer for as long as I can remember, and I finally have enough money for the whole setup. However, I'm in college for one more year, and will be moving probably a couple times before I have a permanent home.
My questions is, how do porcupine puffers do with transitions like this? I've moved previous fish tanks with no problem, but those were either fresh or brackish, and had smaller fish that I could put in bags.

I realllly realllly want to get my puffer now, but I want to see what see how you guys think he'd hold up if I had to move him...I don't want to get a puffer and have him die from the stress of moving.

>O<
(that's my future puffer <3 hehehe...)

~Etain
Hilly
Mentor
My Puffers: Current: Tetraodon Lineatus
Previous:
Tetraodon Sabahensis
Montrete Abei
Tetraodon Biocellatus
Carinotetraodon Salivator
Location (country): UK

Post by Hilly »

From a practical point of view it would be an absolute pain tearing down a tank and rebilding it back up a few times in a year. Especially if you have to move a load of live rock and trying to make sure you have minimal die off. Plus there's the moving of the large tank which would also be a big pain. I'm not looking forward to moving my 90g from one room to another and thats ony about 20 feet.

Welcome to the site
[welcome]
Hilly
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

Yea, I can't see moving a tank big enough for a porc, even the smaller species needs round 100 gallons, and thats a two strong big people operation to move.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
Etain
Puffer Fry

Post by Etain »

oh, boo :o( haha i kind of figured that'd be the response i'd get...don't worry, i'm just pouting ;o)
thanks for preventing me from doing something silly and impulsive!
I suppose if I've waited this long to get a porc puffer, I can wait another year or so, right ?
In the meantime I'll satisfy myself by looking at all you guy's cute puffers on this site!
^_^
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Post by manutius »

I think thats a great solution ;)
Nick
Former Staff Member
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman

Post by Nick »

Shakespeare is waving at you :)(just look at my avatar pic)
Etain
Puffer Fry

Post by Etain »

Awww, Hi shakespere (and your owner)...you're pretty frickin' cute!!!
^_^
Nick
Former Staff Member
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman

Post by Nick »

No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Tetraodon biocellatus.
RIP: C. travancoricus, Chilomycterus schoepfi. Canthigaster jactator.
Location (country): USA

Post by OraLacerta »

Yeah, two factors that make moving a tank (not to mention multiple times) a fantastically huge pain: large size & saltwater (LR, Sand, equipment, etc). Good for you for waiting, that will certainly be better for the future puffer's health and your peace of mind!

Nick- I never noticed that Shakespeare is waving in your avatar. :P
-Michelle

Prevent unnecessary deaths due to disease- quarantine ALL new additions at least 4 weeks in a separate tank before adding to your main display tank!

Puffers: Hindenburg the Figure Eight, 75gallon Brackish
Nick
Former Staff Member
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman

Post by Nick »

LOL, it's so cute I had to use it, he did it on his own when I was taking pictures of him for my GF(he loves her the most, more than he likes me), I didn't realize what he was doing till looking at the photo later.
Etain
Puffer Fry

Post by Etain »

oh man, I can't stop looking at Shakespere waving...he makes me laugh!! Why did you name him Shakespere? I like that name for a puffer! I think I might name my future puffer Yoshimitsu...^_^
Nick
Former Staff Member
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman

Post by Nick »

I"m still not really sure where I got Shakespeare from, I was struggling to name him and it just popped into my head, I never even expected to keep him, he was a rescue I tried to give a way for a month after worming, but liked him too much and ended up keeping him. I'll tell Shakespeare you like his photo :)
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Tetraodon biocellatus.
RIP: C. travancoricus, Chilomycterus schoepfi. Canthigaster jactator.
Location (country): USA

Post by OraLacerta »

Well, Shakespeare may be a better name than failed German military ventures (Hindenburg & Bismarck), though I'm sure my Figure Eights know it's all in fun. ;)
-Michelle

Prevent unnecessary deaths due to disease- quarantine ALL new additions at least 4 weeks in a separate tank before adding to your main display tank!

Puffers: Hindenburg the Figure Eight, 75gallon Brackish
CoreyK
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by CoreyK »

Depends on a lot of factors IMO.
I move my figure 8's several times a year from school and back, but they don't have LR/sand to deal with, and I have 2 tanks.
I set up the tank where they'll be moving to a week or so before I actually move them, then just bring them along with their filter and it "instant cycles".
They don't seem to stress about it hardly at all, they've adjusted extremely well every time I've done it.

There is always the possibility of not investing in LR/sand until you have a permanent home so you don't have to deal with moving it.
Etain
Puffer Fry

Post by Etain »

Yeah, I used to have a fig 8, and i did manage to move him without trouble. however i was reading alot of stuff on here about how live rock is really good for marine aquariums, so i think i'm going to use it....and it sounds like a huge pain to move :oP what's live sand? does it do the same thing as live rock?

OraLacerta...those are some pretty perfectly awesome puffer names!! ...you definitly have the same sense of humor that i do hehehe...^_^