Puffer tankmate?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
SuziQ

Puffer tankmate?

Post by SuziQ »

Hi folks,

I'm new to this site and am finding it a great source of information. Thanks to all for the great advice.

I am currently setting up a new 180 gallon fish-only system. Currently inhabited by a 4" red head wrasse, 2.5" clown fish, and 3" Picasso trigger. My LFS has been keeping a white-spotted puffer (has grown to about 5") for me until the new tank is ready. Well it looks like today's the day and he will finally be coming home.

Here's my question.

I have a long-horned cow fish in my 90 gallon reef tank. She's about 4 inches long -- horn to horn. Is healthy and happy in this tank and other than an initial taste of a mushroom and a dendronephthya, hasn't bothered the corals since. I know she will be growing pretty big and was wondering if she might be moved eventually to the 180 where the puffer will be living?

I've read about the neurotoxin that cow fish can release with deadly results -- but is this a pretty rare event? My LFS says he has never experienced this phenomenon. Has anyone out there housed a cow fish and puffer together, successfully?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

S.
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Tetraodon biocellatus.
RIP: C. travancoricus, Chilomycterus schoepfi. Canthigaster jactator.
Location (country): USA

Post by OraLacerta »

Welcome to The Puffer Forum SuziQ!
:hiya:

From what I have read, Boxfish release these toxins either from extreme stress or when they die. It is their natural defense system, which will backfire on them if used in an aquarium setting. Seeing that you already have a trigger in there, along with the puffer fish it might be a bit risky because if either or both of them pick on the Long-Horned Cow it would stress him out tremendously. He's not a very agile fish... It could also work out fine; it's just that I get a bit nervous thinking about the potential for issues in the future when the cow, the puffer and the trigger get larger.

If I took the risk of keeping a Boxfish I would only keep it with peaceful tankmates, and certainly not ones that are faster moving and could be aggressive. I know Picasso Triggers are typically less-aggressive along with the other triggers from the Red Sea, but that doesn't always hold true. The "White Spotted" puffer is what exactly? 5" is too big for him to be a Hawaiian Spotted, I'm assuming it is an Arothron hispidus then? If so, they seem to have a reputation as rather gentle fish.
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug. ... _Hispidus/

Is it possible for you to move the trigger into the 90 and place the Long-Horned Cow into the bigger tank? I have been eyeing the smaller Red Sea triggers myself, but I have come across many cautionary tails while researching.

Hopefully our marine expert Puffer_Queen will chime in.
-Michelle

Prevent unnecessary deaths due to disease- quarantine ALL new additions at least 4 weeks in a separate tank before adding to your main display tank!

Puffers: Hindenburg the Figure Eight, 75gallon Brackish