Baby Porcupine help?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
SLight
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Baby Porcupine help?

Post by SLight »

Hey all, new to this forum. I recently purchased a great little porcupine, Elliot (lets be real, he looks like ET), can't be more than 3" in length currently. He's been in the tank for about 2 weeks now, and is still a little shy, but most concerning is that a lot of the time I go to look for him and he's hiding in his favorite little spot on top of the crushed coral substrate between the glass and the edge of a fake brain coral. Attached is a picture of him in his spot (the green coral), and just a cool one of Elliot actually swimming.

I read this is normal, but just want to be as sure as possible.

Also, for feeding, I keep trying to give him shell-on shrimp (frozen then thawed), but he never goes for it. He will eat the little mysis shrimp (frozen cube then also thawed). Definitely doesn't like the marine flakes like the rest of the fish.

Appreciate the help.
Elliot.jpg
Elliot2.jpg
Tank info:
75G hexagon
Sump + UV Sterilizer + protein skimmer
2 clownfish
1 baby picasso trigger (maybe 2" now)
1 tomini tang
1 starry blenny
......so far
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Baby Porcupine help?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Welcome!
Hex tanks aren't the best for this species & eventually you will want a tank 2x this size for the tans & puffer. Puffers are shy & not very competitive for food. Your trigger is aggressive towards other fish & bullies others for food. Not a great combo, IMO.

Crushed coral isn't recommended, as they are huge detritus collectors. For a proper marine tank, you need a protein skimmer, live sand at 1-2" deep & live rock at 1 1/2-2" per gallon.

library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/

library/puffers-in-focus/big-marine-pufferfish-care/

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28836
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
SLight
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by SLight »

Damn, really wish I knew all of that! The puffer and trigger were actually in the same tank at the LFS, and the trigger is actually smaller than Elliot, so less worried there. None of the tankmates are really fighting over food, Elliot is just not going for the non-mysis shrimp as of yet.

Is the lying on the ground normal?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I don't think so, these are very interactive fish. Fish kept together at a store is only temporary housing.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"