Brackish puffers to saltwater?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Tibbs88
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Brackish puffers to saltwater?

Post by Tibbs88 »

I'm new to brackish and salt but I have a 90gl freshwater tank for 3 years now. The wife gave up on the tank and said I could do what I want with it.
I wanted to start over and do a brackish tank but after talking with my LFS owner, she told me that a saltwater tank would be easier once it was set up besides the cost. I love the look of the GSP and figure 8, etc. But I have heard that yes you can turn brackish puffers to full salt and no you can't.
I like the idea of a full salt but the marine puffers haven't caught my eye or that I have a big enough tank for some of them. I was looking for some clarity on the topic.
I'm trying to do the most research I can before I even make the switch but there is a lot of topics I have found that dont answer a lot of questions I have. I also have a 30gl tank but I don't know if that would be enough to do a brackish for a GSP in last resort and go full salt with my big tank.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Brackish puffers to saltwater?

Post by Pufferpunk »

30g is very difficult to maintain as SW, especially if your new at this. Also, considering you need 1 1/2-2lbs live rock/gal, there wouldn't be much swimming room left for a Nerf football-sized puffer in a 30g.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"