GSP with Papuan Toby issues

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Murky
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

GSP with Papuan Toby issues

Post by Murky »

Hello, I am new to the puffer forums and I am experiencing some problems with my 2 fish. I have had my GSP in a cycled 40 gallon he is acclimated to full marine now I have had him for a little over a month. He is a little over 2" in length, I recently picked up a Papuan Toby who is a little bit bigger maybe 2.5", and he has been rather territorial and nipped my GSP's tail fin.I think I made a big mistake, I always thought they were rather peaceful with other fish my GSP never bothered him, but now my GSP has a swollen cornea with a slightly white coating, I am currently treating with salt in a qt. I know GSP's get rather big and I realize I wont be able to keep both. I have read that GSP's get significantly larger than Toby's but I have grown attached to my GSP, and want the best for him. So my question is which fish should I keep to live its full life out in this 40 gallon? Would I have to eventually get a bigger tank for the GSP to live its full life? The reason I ask is I don't think I have room for another tank and I do not plan on getting an even bigger one.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP with Papuan Toby issues

Post by Pufferpunk »

I wouldn't keep those 2 in anything <75g. Looks like 1 of them is going to need to be rehomed.
If the GSP is already in marine, how are you treating with salt? I'd rehome the toby & put the GSP back into his tank. I do think he'd appreciate a larger tank but a 40g will do.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Murky
Puffer Fry

Post by Murky »

Thanks for the input, I picked up the Toby because someone was giving him away as it was nipping at their corals. I will try to find a new home for the Toby. I added a bit of aquarium salt but i guess that doesn't really matter in a marine tank? Sorry, if I sound stupid for asking I am rather new to the hobby. I already dewormed both with general cure. and all of this happened in the midst of all of this. Do you think it would be wise to remove the meds a day or 2 late?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm not 100& sure but I think it is not good to medicate the main SW tank at all, as it could kill off the small creatures that help keep a SW tank clean.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Murky
Puffer Fry

Post by Murky »

General cure doesn't kill off any BB as far as I know it didn't kill off anything in my tank. I did my research before using and under-dosed the tank but medicated some krill and fed the fish in the qt as well. Then I used some activated carbon and a water change to remove the meds from the main tank. Antibacterials like Erythromycin can kill BB and other things, I didn't experience any die off, all the feeder shrimp were fine, My water quality is great, also my GSP's eye is looking much better the cloudiness has subsided for the most part it was pretty minor damage towards the outer edge of the cornea. I guess they heal much quicker while they're young. I have kept a GSP in the past for a little over 8 years before it passed, it has been a while though since I have owned another tank. Although, I got to say this Papuan Toby is probably the most beautiful fish I have ever seen, the colors on it are insane and and his eyes are like gems, its hard for me to let him go, I just want whats best for him though. In my opinion nothing compares to the Tetraodon nigroviridis in terms of personality though, it is also nostalgic for me because it reminds me of spotz my old GSP. I just hope I can find a good home for this Toby because I feel these Papuan Toby's belong in larger tanks, with a lot more places to roam and hide. He was being pretty territorial judging by his bottom fin thing coming out all the time with my GSP in there. Today though, he seems more open and actually came up to me and stared into my eyes like a puppy which was pretty funny. He has some trouble trying to catch the shrimp but I make sure he gets fed twice a day usually with frozen half clams, krill, and shrimp. I noticed they go around eating the pods off of the live rock, they are interesting for sure, whoever decides to take him will be happy for sure. I will be sure to question the people who are interested in taking him, to see if they have a basic understanding of caring for these fish.
Murky
Puffer Fry

Post by Murky »

Here are some pics of him
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Murky
Puffer Fry

Post by Murky »

I was able to re-home him, the guy traded me for about 10 pounds of Fiji live rock.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Fantastic!

Murky
Puffer Fry

Post by Murky »

I am happy to say that Murky's right eye has made a full recovery in just a few days with no scaring. His caudal fin is healing pretty quickly as well ! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

YAY!